1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion with drag and lift

1. Nov 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using a wind tunnel, I recorded lift and drag forces on an object and now I want to estimate where the object will land based on these forces. When I took the data from the wind tunnel, I changed the angle of attack at 2 degree increments from -10 to 30 degrees. This was done at 3 different wind speeds (80, 123, and 170 mph). I looked at 0 angle of attack at each of those speeds and created a linear relationship between the wind speed and drag force. I am using that relationship for generating the drag forces used in the equation. I know the initial velocity of the object is 76 m/s, the angles it will be launched at will be either 30, 45 or 60 degrees, and gravity will be 9.81 m/s^2. The goal is to see how drag will affect the object then how will adding lift will affect the object's flight?

2. Relevant equations
    Vox = V*cos(theta), Voy = V*sin(theta), Dy = Voy*t + 0.5*ay*t^2, Dx = Vox*t
    Vox = initial x velocity, Voy = initial y velocity, Dy = distance in y, Dx = distance in x
    Fd = force of drag, Fl = force of lift

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used an excel spreadsheet to do this problem where I tried to subtract the force of drag from the vertical and horizontal components of projectile motion and it seemed not to work. Any ideas where I can be going wrong?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?