Projectile motion with drag and lift

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a wind tunnel to record lift and drag forces on an object and the goal of estimating where the object will land based on these forces. The individual encountered difficulties in their calculations and received suggestions to troubleshoot the issue, such as checking their equations, considering the effects of air resistance, using a numerical approach, checking for errors in data, and considering other factors.
Simms16

Homework Statement

Using a wind tunnel, I recorded lift and drag forces on an object and now I want to estimate where the object will land based on these forces. When I took the data from the wind tunnel, I changed the angle of attack at 2 degree increments from -10 to 30 degrees. This was done at 3 different wind speeds (80, 123, and 170 mph). I looked at 0 angle of attack at each of those speeds and created a linear relationship between the wind speed and drag force. I am using that relationship for generating the drag forces used in the equation. I know the initial velocity of the object is 76 m/s, the angles it will be launched at will be either 30, 45 or 60 degrees, and gravity will be 9.81 m/s^2. The goal is to see how drag will affect the object then how will adding lift will affect the object's flight?

Homework Equations

Vox = V*cos(theta), Voy = V*sin(theta), Dy = Voy*t + 0.5*ay*t^2, Dx = Vox*t
Vox = initial x velocity, Voy = initial y velocity, Dy = distance in y, Dx = distance in x
Fd = force of drag, Fl = force of lift

The Attempt at a Solution

I used an excel spreadsheet to do this problem where I tried to subtract the force of drag from the vertical and horizontal components of projectile motion and it seemed not to work. Any ideas where I can be going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to carefully analyze and interpret your data to ensure accurate results. In this case, it seems that you may be experiencing difficulties with your calculations. Here are some suggestions that may help you troubleshoot the issue:

1. Check your equations: It is important to double check that you are using the correct equations for calculating the horizontal and vertical components of the object's motion. Make sure that you are using the correct values for initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity.

2. Consider the effects of air resistance: The force of drag is an important factor to consider in this scenario. It is possible that the drag force is significantly impacting the object's motion and therefore needs to be incorporated into your equations. You may need to use a more complex equation that takes into account the drag force, such as the drag equation.

3. Use a numerical approach: Instead of relying on a linear relationship between wind speed and drag force, you may want to consider using a numerical approach to calculate the drag force. This can be done by using the recorded data from the wind tunnel and plugging it into the appropriate equation for calculating drag force.

4. Check for errors in your data: It is always important to double check your data for any errors or inconsistencies. Make sure that the data you are using is accurate and reliable.

5. Consider other factors: In addition to drag force, there may be other factors that could affect the object's motion, such as air density or the shape of the object. Make sure to consider all relevant factors when analyzing your data.

I hope these suggestions help you in your calculations. Remember to carefully review your equations and data to ensure that your results are accurate and reliable. Good luck with your project!

1. What is projectile motion with drag and lift?

Projectile motion with drag and lift is a type of motion where an object is moving through the air, experiencing both drag and lift forces. Drag is a force that opposes the motion of the object, while lift is a force that acts perpendicular to the direction of motion. These forces can greatly affect the trajectory of the object.

2. How is drag and lift calculated in projectile motion?

Drag and lift are calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the properties of the object, such as its mass, shape, and velocity. These equations also factor in the air density and viscosity, as well as the angle of attack of the object.

3. What factors affect the amount of drag and lift experienced by an object?

The amount of drag and lift experienced by an object depends on several factors, including the shape and size of the object, the speed at which it is moving, the air density, and the angle at which it is moving through the air. Additionally, surface roughness, temperature, and air pressure can also impact the amount of drag and lift experienced.

4. How does drag and lift affect the trajectory of a projectile?

Drag and lift have a significant impact on the trajectory of a projectile. These forces can cause the object to deviate from its intended path, resulting in a curved flight path. The amount and direction of the deviation depend on the strength and direction of the drag and lift forces.

5. How can projectile motion with drag and lift be applied in real-life situations?

Projectile motion with drag and lift is applicable in various real-life situations, such as in sports like golf, baseball, and javelin throwing, where the shape and flight of the object greatly affect its trajectory. It is also important to consider drag and lift forces in engineering and aerodynamics, such as in the design of airplanes and rockets.