Projecting a vector onto a plane problem

In summary, to project a vector onto a plane spanned by two other vectors, you can use the formula projw(u) = <u,v1>v1 + <u,v2>v2, where v1 and v2 are unit vectors that are mutually orthogonal. To create a matrix that performs this transformation, you would need to use the components of v1 and v2 to create a matrix that can multiply with any vector V to project it onto the plane spanned by v1 and v2.
dcl
Heya's
how would one go about spanning a vector say 'u' onto a plane spanned by vectors v1 and v2.

I have a formula for projecting a vector onto say a subspace w:
projw(u) = <u,v1>v1 + <u,v2>v2 + ... <u,vn>vn
But I'm unsure how to use this for when I need to project the vector onto a plane spanned by 2 other vectors.

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
dcl : I am confused by the fact that you provide the correct formula !

Say you have a vector [tex]\vec{V}=\{V_i\}[/tex] with components indiced by [tex]i[/tex] in a general [tex]n[/tex] dimensional linear (vector) space : [tex]i\in \{0,1,2,\cdots ,n\}[/tex]. Say in this [tex]n[/tex] dimensional space you have a plane defined by two vectors [tex]\vec{u}^{(1)} = \{u^{(1)}_i\}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{u}^{(2)} = \{u^{(2)}_i\}[/tex]. Then the straightforward application of your formula leads to the projection [tex]P(\vec{V})[/tex] of the vector [tex]\vec{V}[/tex] onto the plane spanned by [tex]\vec{u}^{(1)}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{u}^{(2)}[/tex] :

[tex]P(\vec{V}) = \sum_{i=1}^2 \langle \vec{u}^{(i)},\vec{V} \rangle \vec{u}^{(i)} = c_1 \vec{u}^{(1)} + c_2 \vec{u}^{(2)}[/tex]

with [tex]c_1 = \langle \vec{u}^{(1)},\vec{V} \rangle = \sum_{i=1}^n u^{(1)}_i V_i[/tex] and [tex]c_2 = \langle \vec{u}^{(2)},\vec{V} \rangle = \sum_{i=1}^n u^{(2)}_i V_i[/tex]

Thanks for that, guess it was simpler than I thought. :)

If I'm not mistaken,
in projw(u) = <u,v1>v1 + <u,v2>v2 + ... <u,vn>vn ,
the v1,...,vn should be mutually-orthogonal unit vectors
since a projection must satisfy projw(projw(u))=projw(u).

How could you create a matrix that performs this transformation? In other words, what matrix would project any vector V into the plane spanned by v1 and v2?

1. What is the purpose of projecting a vector onto a plane?

The purpose of projecting a vector onto a plane is to find the closest point on the plane to the given vector. This can be useful in various applications such as physics, computer graphics, and engineering.

2. How is a vector projected onto a plane?

To project a vector onto a plane, we first need to find the normal vector of the plane. Then, we can use the dot product to determine the magnitude of the projection of the vector onto the normal vector. Finally, we can use this magnitude to find the components of the projected vector in the direction of the normal vector.

3. What is the difference between orthogonal projection and oblique projection?

Orthogonal projection is when the projected vector is perpendicular to the plane, while oblique projection is when the projected vector is at an angle to the plane. In other words, orthogonal projection results in a right angle between the projected vector and the plane, while oblique projection results in an acute angle.

4. Can a vector be projected onto any plane?

No, a vector can only be projected onto a plane if it is not parallel to the plane. If the vector is parallel to the plane, then the projection will result in the zero vector.

5. How is the projection of a vector onto a plane useful in real-life situations?

The projection of a vector onto a plane can be used in various real-life situations such as finding the shortest distance between a point and a plane, calculating the force exerted by an object on a plane, or determining the path of a projectile in two dimensions. It is also commonly used in computer graphics to create 3D images.