1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projecting an image onto a mirror

1. Aug 6, 2014 #1
    I need to do something for a project. Basically, I need to be able to project a clear image onto a mirror while still being able to use the mirror when the projector is not in use. Is there a way to do this/a cheap coating I can put on a mirror to accomplish this?
    Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2014 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I don't know of any coatings, but perhaps some sort of portable screen or a sheet?

4. Aug 7, 2014 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You would need a surface with a relatively high proportion of diffuse reflection in order to project an image on top of it. This will most likely result in it working rather poorly as a normal mirror.

5. Aug 7, 2014 #4

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Aug 7, 2014 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ah yes, I should have guessed that existed as I was looking up smart glass solutions not so long ago (it seems to be simply integrating a smart glass with a mirror). However, I do not know if this qualifies as "cheap".

7. Aug 7, 2014 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Could you do something with lighting and a Pepper's Ghost arrangement? Old but impressive in some circs.

8. Aug 8, 2014 #7

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess it is an expensive crappy mirror and crappy screen. It is cheaper and more effective to keep the mirror and install a pull-down projection screen above the mirror. Or simply stick a big sheet of white paper to the mirror with some tape, when it is needed for projection.

9. Aug 8, 2014 #8

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could do away with the mirror completely and use a large TV monitor array with a camera at the centre. In mirror mode, the camera would be the picture source. I see women using their smart phones in this way (in their cars on the way to work) and they don't need to carry a makeup mirror.
    Unfortunately, not a 'cheap solution".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook