Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projecting an image onto a mirror

1. Aug 6, 2014 #1
    I need to do something for a project. Basically, I need to be able to project a clear image onto a mirror while still being able to use the mirror when the projector is not in use. Is there a way to do this/a cheap coating I can put on a mirror to accomplish this?
    Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2014 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I don't know of any coatings, but perhaps some sort of portable screen or a sheet?

4. Aug 7, 2014 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You would need a surface with a relatively high proportion of diffuse reflection in order to project an image on top of it. This will most likely result in it working rather poorly as a normal mirror.

5. Aug 7, 2014 #4

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Aug 7, 2014 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ah yes, I should have guessed that existed as I was looking up smart glass solutions not so long ago (it seems to be simply integrating a smart glass with a mirror). However, I do not know if this qualifies as "cheap".

7. Aug 7, 2014 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Could you do something with lighting and a Pepper's Ghost arrangement? Old but impressive in some circs.

8. Aug 8, 2014 #7

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess it is an expensive crappy mirror and crappy screen. It is cheaper and more effective to keep the mirror and install a pull-down projection screen above the mirror. Or simply stick a big sheet of white paper to the mirror with some tape, when it is needed for projection.

9. Aug 8, 2014 #8

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could do away with the mirror completely and use a large TV monitor array with a camera at the centre. In mirror mode, the camera would be the picture source. I see women using their smart phones in this way (in their cars on the way to work) and they don't need to carry a makeup mirror.
    Unfortunately, not a 'cheap solution".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook