Projection of a on b when a, b are complex

In summary, the conversation discusses projections of vectors, specifically the formula for finding the projection of vector a onto vector b when both are complex. The dot product is mentioned as a modified version to prevent the zero vector case. The concept of an inner product is also introduced.
johann1301
see figure: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_projection#mediaviewer/File:Projection_and_rejection.png

Im reading about projections of vectors. My book says nothing about what the projection a1 of a on b is when a and b are complex vectors.

To find the formula for the projection, one needs to take the scalar product of b and (a-a1) and set it to equal zero and set that a1 equals some number times b.

But since a and b are complex, doesn't it matter which order this is done in?

If both a and b are complex, do we get two different projections onto b from a ?

see this, about 9:30 minutes in: http://www.khanacademy.org/math/lin..._trans_examples/v/introduction-to-projections

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let ##V## be a complex vector space. Let ##\{e_i\}_{i=1}^n## be an orthonormal basis for it. I'll use the physicist's convention for inner products. This means that the inner product is linear in the second variable and antilinear (=conjugate linear) in the first. Let ##v\in V## be arbitrary. Now let's write ##v=\sum_i v_i e_i##, and then compute ##\langle e_i,v\rangle##.
$$\langle e_i,v\rangle = \left\langle e_i,\sum_j v_j e_j\right\rangle =\sum_j v_j \langle e_i,e_j\rangle =v_i.$$ This means that every ##v\in V## can be written as ##v=\sum_i \langle e_i,v\rangle e_i##. Now we can see that the projection of ##v## onto the 1-dimensional subspace spanned by ##e_i## is ##\langle e_i,v\rangle e_i##. It can't be ##\langle v,e_i\rangle e_i##.

Edit: I took a quick look at the video and saw that it's talking about the dot product in ##\mathbb R^2##. So you may not be familiar with notations like ##\langle x,y\rangle##. This is the standard notation for the inner product of x and y. An inner product is defined as a function that takes two vectors as input and gives you a number as output. (There's also a list of conditions that it has to satisfy). The dot product on ##\mathbb R^2## is such a function. So the dot product is a special kind of inner product.

Last edited:

What is the definition of "Projection of a on b when a, b are complex"?

The projection of a vector a on a vector b is the component of a that lies in the direction of b, scaled by the magnitude of b. When a and b are complex vectors, the same concept applies, but the calculation involves complex conjugates.

How do you calculate the projection of a on b when a, b are complex?

The projection of a on b when a, b are complex can be calculated using the following formula:

projb a = (a · b*) / (b · b*) * b,

where a · b* is the dot product of a and the complex conjugate of b, and b · b* is the dot product of b with its complex conjugate.

What is the difference between the projection of a on b and the projection of b on a when a, b are complex?

The projection of a on b and the projection of b on a are not the same when a, b are complex. The projection of a on b gives the component of a that lies in the direction of b, while the projection of b on a gives the component of b that lies in the direction of a. Therefore, these projections may have different values depending on the angle between a and b.

What is the significance of calculating the projection of a on b when a, b are complex?

The projection of a on b when a, b are complex can be useful in various fields, such as signal processing, image processing, and quantum mechanics. It allows us to isolate the component of a vector that is relevant to a particular direction, making it easier to analyze and manipulate complex data.

Can the projection of a on b when a, b are complex be negative?

Yes, the projection of a on b when a, b are complex can be negative. This can occur when the angle between a and b is greater than 90 degrees, causing the projection to be in the opposite direction of b. In this case, the magnitude of the projection will be negative, indicating that the component of a in the direction of b is in the opposite direction of b.