Proof about commutator bracket

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof by induction for a commutator relationship between operators A and B, where [A,B]=k\cdot I. The proof is shown for n=2 and then extended to n+1, demonstrating the validity of the proof by induction method.
ice109
i've never really done a proof by induction but i would like to prove a statement about commutator relations so can you please check my proof:

claim: [itex][A,B^n]=nB^{n-1}[A,B][/itex] if [itex][A,B]=k\cdot I[/itex] where A,B are operators, I is the identity and k is any scalar.

proof: [tex] [A,B^2] = [A,B]B+B[A,B] = 2B^{2-1}[A,B] [/tex] where the B is brought out of the commutator by almost obvious identity and the last equality follows from the commutativity of the identity with any operator.

so for n=2 the equality is proven. we now assume that the equality holds for n-2 case and proceed to prove it holds for n case:

[tex][A,B^n]=[A,B^2B^{n-2}]=[A,B^{2}]B^{n-2}+B^2[A,B^{n-2}][/tex]
[tex] =2B[A,B]B^{n-2}+B^2(n-2)B^{n-3}[A,B] [/tex]
[tex] =2B^{n-1}[A,B]+(n-2)B^{n-1}[A,B][/tex]
[tex] =nB^{n-1}[A,B][/tex]

so how 'bout it? was successful?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think proof by induction goes something like this:

Show that the equality is true for n = 1

Assume the equality is true for n

Then show it is true for n+1

it's the same thing?

1. What is a commutator bracket?

A commutator bracket is a mathematical operation used to measure the extent to which two mathematical objects, such as matrices or operators, fail to commute with each other. In other words, it represents the difference between the product of two objects and the product of the same objects in reverse order.

2. Why is the commutator bracket important?

The commutator bracket is important because it allows us to study the properties and behavior of mathematical objects that do not commute. It is a key concept in mathematical fields such as linear algebra, quantum mechanics, and group theory.

3. How is the commutator bracket calculated?

The commutator bracket is calculated by multiplying the two objects and subtracting the reverse order of the multiplication. In mathematical notation, it can be represented as [A,B] = AB - BA.

4. What is the significance of the commutator bracket being zero?

If the commutator bracket is zero, it means that the two objects commute with each other, and their order does not affect the result. This is an important property in many mathematical applications, as it simplifies calculations and makes it easier to study the behavior of the objects.

5. Can the commutator bracket be generalized to other mathematical structures?

Yes, the commutator bracket can be generalized to other mathematical structures, such as Lie algebras, Poisson brackets, and more. In each case, the concept remains the same – measuring the failure of two objects to commute with each other.