Proof By Contradiction/Case Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses using proof by contradiction and case analysis and whether it is necessary to find a contradiction in each case or if one contradiction is enough. The experts advise that if the statement is made up of 'or' statements, then one negation must lead to a contradiction. However, if the statement is made up of 'and' statements, then all negations must lead to a contradiction. The original poster also mentions wanting guidance on proof writing and not wanting to share the problem for fear of cheating.
doubleaxel195
This may be a really stupid question. So say you're doing a proof by contradiction. So you assume the hypothesis and conclusion are true. There are multiple variables involved and I want to consider the case when one only one variable is negative.

1. Are you allowed to do case by case analysis when doing proof by contradiction? In other words, does doing this make sense?

2. If you can use case analysis, must you find a contradiction in each case or is a contradiction in one case good enough?

Thanks! I'm very appreciative.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is absolutely okay. You're trying to prove something, and your method is to assume the negation and try to prove a contradiction. This "subproof" is just like any other proof, and any proof methods that work elsewhere work here.

Proof by Contradiction/Case Analysis Question

If you use proof by contradiction but have multiple cases to consider, do you need to find a contradiction in each case? Or if one case has a contradiction is that good enough and you can disregard the other cases?

Thanks! I'm very appreciative.

If your statement is something like

"If <proposiiton> then <case 1> OR <case 2>."

then in order to show that <proposition> is impossible, you must show that both <case 1> and <case 2> lead to contradictions.

Okay, thank you. That is what I thought. *sigh* now I have to go back to square one. May be a stupid question, but logically, why is this so?

Hm. I reread the replies and now I'm starting to wonder if I properly phrased my question.

I want to use proof by contradiction. So I assume the conclusion is false. There are multiple real variables involved. So they can be any combination of positive, negative, or zero. If I consider just one case when one of them is negative and find a contradiction, does this work or no?

What is the thing you're taking to be false? If the statement you're taking to be false is something made up of bunch of 'or' statements, then you have to show that one negation of your conclusion leads to a contradiction, I guess what I mean to say symbolically is (using ~ for not):

If this is the thing you're taking to be false: P [itex]\cup[/itex] Q [itex]\cup[/itex] R, then symbolically ~(P [itex]\cup[/itex] Q [itex]\cup[/itex] R) = ~P [itex]\cap[/itex] ~Q [itex]\cap[/itex] ~R. I think you have to show that you reach a contradiction for just one of them.

But if the thing you're taking to be false is: P [itex]\cap[/itex] Q [itex]\cap[/itex] R, then making it false you get

~(P [itex]\cap[/itex] Q [itex]\cap[/itex] R) = ~P[itex]\cup[/itex]~Q[itex]\cup[/itex]~R. I think in this case, you have to show that you get a contradiction for all three cases, i.e. for ~P, ~Q, ~R.

Last edited:

Well the thing I'm taking to be false does not involve and or or statements.

It's just that one quantity is less than or equal to another. So the negation would be the first quantity is greater than the other.

What I want to say is that the right side is always positive but there is a possibility that the left side be negative. Am I going completely crazy and making illogical conclusions?

doubleaxel195 said:
Well the thing I'm taking to be false does not involve and or or statements.

It's just that one quantity is less than or equal to another. So the negation would be the first quantity is greater than the other.

What I want to say is that the right side is always positive but there is a possibility that the left side be negative. Am I going completely crazy and making illogical conclusions?

If you aren't going to spell out what you are trying to prove and how you are trying to do it it's going to be really hard to say how crazy you are :).

Haha, I just wanted guidance on proof writing. I really don't want to post the problem, otherwise I feel like I'm cheating. And I know it will be hard to help without seeing the problem, so I guess I'll just try to do it by direct proof. Thanks for all the replies though! Here's to spending hours on a problem only to find the answer is ridiculously simple...

doubleaxel195 said:
Haha, I just wanted guidance on proof writing. I really don't want to post the problem, otherwise I feel like I'm cheating. And I know it will be hard to help without seeing the problem, so I guess I'll just try to do it by direct proof. Thanks for all the replies though! Here's to spending hours on a problem only to find the answer is ridiculously simple...

Your choice. I definitely don't think it would be cheating to show a proof and ask for comments, though.

1. What is the concept of proof by contradiction/case analysis?

Proof by contradiction/case analysis is a mathematical method used to prove the truth of a statement by assuming the opposite of the statement and showing that it leads to a contradiction. This method relies on the principle of non-contradiction, which states that a statement and its negation cannot both be true at the same time.

2. How is proof by contradiction/case analysis different from other proof methods?

Proof by contradiction/case analysis is different from other proof methods, such as direct proof or proof by induction, because it starts with assuming the opposite of the statement and then finding a contradiction. Other proof methods start with the given statement and use logical steps to arrive at the conclusion.

3. When is proof by contradiction/case analysis used?

Proof by contradiction/case analysis is often used when the direct proof of a statement is difficult or impossible. It is also useful when proving the existence of something, as it can show that the non-existence of the thing would lead to a contradiction.

4. What are the steps involved in proof by contradiction/case analysis?

The steps for proof by contradiction/case analysis are as follows:
1. State the statement to be proven.
2. Assume the opposite of the statement.
3. Use logical steps to arrive at a contradiction.
4. Conclude that the original statement must be true.

5. What are the limitations of proof by contradiction/case analysis?

Proof by contradiction/case analysis can only be used if a contradiction can be found. If no contradiction is found, it does not necessarily mean that the original statement is true. Additionally, it may not always be the most efficient or straightforward method of proof, as it relies on finding a contradiction rather than directly proving the statement.