Proof by Induction Homework: Can Anyone Help?

In summary, the author is trying to solve an induction problem. They start by assuming that if P(z)=Q(z) for all z then setting z=0 shows that a_0= b_0. They show that if z is not equal to 0, then a_1+a_2z+\cdot\cdot\cdot+a_nz^{n-1}=b_1+b_2z+\cdot\cdot\cdot+b_mz^{m-1}. This proves that m=n if n is less than m.
Ted123

Homework Statement

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3433/questionl.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Can anyone help me with this induction?

If [itex]P(z)=Q(z)[/itex] for all [itex]z[/itex] then setting [itex]z=0[/itex] shows that [itex]a_0 = b_0[/itex] .

We must also have [itex]P'(z)=Q'(z)[/itex] and again setting [itex]z=0[/itex] shows that [itex]a_1 = b_1[/itex]

Now I want to show, by induction that each successive derivative, at [itex]z= 0[/itex], gives the equality of the next coefficients.

Do I say that [itex]P^n(0) = Q^m(0) \Rightarrow a_ n = b_m[/itex]

and then [itex]P^{n+1}(z) = Q^{m+1}(z) \Rightarrow 0 = 0[/itex] ? In particular I need to show that [itex]m=n[/itex] .

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assume without loss of generality that [tex]n \leq m[/tex], and then compare [tex]P^{(n)}[/tex] and [tex]Q^{(n)}[/tex].

You can, for example, take z= 0 to show that [itex]a_0= b_0[/itex], then subtract that common value and factor out a "z":
[tex]z(a_1+ a_2z+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nz^{n-1})= z(b_1+ b_2z+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ b_mz^{m-1})[/tex]
For z not equal to 0, we can cancel and have
[tex]a_1+ a_2z+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nz^{n-1}= b_1+ b_2z+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ b_mz^{m-1}[/tex]

But polynomials are continuous so we have
[tex]a_1+ a_2z+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nz^{n-1}= b_1+ b_2z+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ b_mz^{m-1}[/tex]
for all z. Now take z= 0 again.

HallsofIvy said:
You can, for example, take z= 0 to show that [itex]a_0= b_0[/itex], then subtract that common value and factor out a "z":
[tex]z(a_1+ a_2z+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nz^{n-1})= z(b_1+ b_2z+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ b_mz^{m-1})[/tex]
For z not equal to 0, we can cancel and have

But polynomials are continuous so we have
for all z. Now take z= 0 again.

So how do I set up my induction in this situation? Doing this again and again will give [itex]a_n=b_m[/itex] eventually but does this prove that [itex]m=n[/itex] ?

Related to Proof by Induction Homework: Can Anyone Help?

1. What is proof by induction and how is it used in homework?

Proof by induction is a mathematical method used to prove that a statement is true for all natural numbers. It is commonly used in homework to prove the validity of a mathematical formula or theorem.

2. What are the steps involved in a proof by induction?

The steps involved in a proof by induction are:
1. Base case: Prove the statement is true for the first natural number (usually 0 or 1).
2. Inductive hypothesis: Assume the statement is true for some arbitrary natural number k.
3. Inductive step: Using the assumption from the previous step, prove that the statement is true for the next natural number (k+1).
4. Conclusion: By the principle of mathematical induction, the statement is true for all natural numbers.

3. Can you give an example of a proof by induction?

Sure, here is an example:
Claim: For all natural numbers n, the sum of the first n odd numbers is n^2.
Proof:
Base case: n=1, the sum of the first odd number (1) is 1 which is equal to 1^2.
Inductive hypothesis: Assume the statement is true for some arbitrary natural number k.
Inductive step: We want to prove that the sum of the first k+1 odd numbers is (k+1)^2.
The sum of the first k+1 odd numbers can be written as:
1+3+5+...+(2k+1)+(2k+3)
Using the inductive hypothesis, we can rewrite this as:
k^2 + (2k+1) + (2k+3) = k^2 + 2(2k+1) = (k+1)^2
Therefore, the statement is true for k+1.
Conclusion: By the principle of mathematical induction, the statement is true for all natural numbers.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using proof by induction?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using proof by induction are:
- Incorrectly assuming the statement is true for the base case
- Not clearly stating the inductive hypothesis
- Making errors in the inductive step
- Using circular reasoning
It is important to carefully follow the steps and clearly explain each step in a proof by induction.

5. Can anyone help me with my proof by induction homework?

Yes, there are many resources available for assistance with proof by induction homework. You can seek help from your teacher, classmates, or online tutoring services. It is also important to carefully read and understand the example proofs provided in your textbook or class notes.