1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof by Induction of the Power Rule of Differentiation

1. Nov 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Okay, the concept here is to use induction to prove that for n, (f1 x f2 x ..... x fn-1 x fn)' = (f'1 x f2 x ... x fn) + (f1 x f'2 x ... x fn) + .... + (f1 x f2 x ... x f'n).

2. Relevant equations/ 3. The attempt at a solution

I solved the initial step, which was quite easy. I started to set up the inductive step, by stating that:

(f1 x f2 ..... x fn x fn+1)' = (f'1 x f2 x ... x fn+1) + (f1 x f'2 x ... x fn+1) + .... + (f1 x f2 x ... x f'n+1).

And I do understand how induction works - I know I am supposed to plug in what I have for the "n" equation into part of my "n+1" equation and find equality. I just don't know HOW I'm supposed to do that for some reason. I think it's the derivatives throwing me off because in the last few problems that I did, it was fine. Please help me simplify?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(f1 x f2 ..... x fn x fn+1)=(f1 x f2 ..... x fn) x fn+1. Use the usual two factor product rule on that.

4. Nov 20, 2012 #3
    Okay, that makes it simpler. I didn't know if I was "allowed" to assume that, or if I had to go from the ground up. I'll double-check with my professor but for now I'll work it out that way. Thanks!

5. Nov 20, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I didn't "assume" anything. (fg)'=f'g+fg' is the base case for your induction. It's the usual product rule. Sure, you can assume that. And (f1 x f2 ..... x fn x fn+1)=(f1 x f2 ..... x fn) x fn+1 is just using the associative rule for multiplication. I think you are pretty safe in using that!

6. Nov 21, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You titled this "power rule" but talk about the "product rule". Which are you trying to prove?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook