Exploring the Challenges of Mathematical Induction

In summary, a student shares their first proof of strong mathematical induction and asks for suggestions or corrections. The proof can be found at the provided link. However, a comment is made about the use of the inductive hypothesis, stating that stronger use is needed to conclude the desired result.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone.

THis is my first proof to strong mathematical induction so im' not sure if its correct or not it seems it though but then again I wrote it. Any suggestions/corrections would be great! THanks

Here it is!
http://suprfile.com/src/1/3j34eh1/lastscan.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your inductive hypothesis is that [tex]e_i\leq 3^i[/tex] for i=1,2,..,k-1, but you used:
[tex]e_{k-1}\leq 3^k[/tex]
[tex]e_{k-2}\leq 3^k[/tex]
[tex]e_{k-3}\leq 3^k[/tex]

That is certainly true, but not strong enough to conclude that
[tex]e_{k}\leq 3^k[/tex]

What if [tex]e_{k-1}=e_{k-2}=e_{k-3}= 3^k[/tex], then your three inequalities hold, but [itex]e_k=3^{k+1}[/itex]. You need to use your inductive hypothesis more strongly.

Hi there,

First of all, congratulations on tackling strong mathematical induction! It can definitely be a challenging concept to grasp, but with practice and guidance, you will become more comfortable with it.

After reviewing your proof, I have a few suggestions for improvement. Firstly, I would recommend using a more formal language and structure for your proof. This will make it easier for others to follow and understand your reasoning. For example, instead of saying "Let's assume that n is true," you can say "Let n be an arbitrary but fixed integer" or "Let n be a positive integer greater than or equal to 2."

Additionally, I noticed that you used "P(k+1)" in your proof without defining what P(n) is. It's important to clearly define your variables and what they represent in your proof. Also, when proving a statement using strong mathematical induction, you need to show that the statement holds for all integers greater than or equal to your base case. In your proof, you only showed it for n=2 and n=3, but it needs to hold for all integers greater than or equal to 2.

One way to improve your proof is by breaking it down into smaller steps and explaining each step in detail. This will help you and others understand the logic behind your reasoning. Additionally, it's always helpful to include examples or diagrams to illustrate your points.

Overall, keep practicing and seeking feedback from others. Mathematical induction can be challenging, but with persistence and patience, you will master it. Good luck!

1. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a proof technique used to prove statements about all natural numbers. It involves proving a base case and then showing that if the statement is true for one number, it is also true for the next number. This process is repeated until the statement is proven to be true for all natural numbers.

2. What are the challenges of using mathematical induction?

One of the main challenges of mathematical induction is coming up with the correct base case and understanding how to make the inductive step. It also requires a clear understanding of the problem and the ability to spot patterns and make generalizations.

3. How is mathematical induction different from other proof techniques?

Mathematical induction is different from other proof techniques, such as direct proof or proof by contradiction, because it involves proving a statement for all natural numbers rather than a specific value or a range of values. It also relies on the concept of recursion, where the proof for one number is dependent on the proof for the previous number.

4. Can mathematical induction be used to prove any statement?

No, mathematical induction can only be used to prove statements about natural numbers. It cannot be used for statements involving real or complex numbers, as the concept of a "next number" does not exist in these sets.

5. What are some common mistakes made when using mathematical induction?

One common mistake when using mathematical induction is assuming that the statement is true for all natural numbers without properly proving the base case. It is also important to make sure that the inductive step is correct and that the statement holds for the next number, not just the previous one.