Proof: Everywhere Tangent to Curve?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the function v(x,y) and the function psi(x,y), where psi is a stream function and v is a scalar field. It is shown that surfaces of constant psi are everywhere tangent to v, as \nabla\psi is normal to these surfaces and v\cdot \nabla\psi = 0. This relationship is further explained through the use of the curl and dot product, proving that \psi must be tangent to v due to their perpendicularity.
bakra904
Proof: Everywhere Tangent to Curve??

If the function v depends on x and y, v(x,y) and we know there exists some function psi(x,y) such that
vx = partial w.r.t (y) of psi
vy= -(partial w.r.t (x) of psi)

show that the curves psi(x,y) = constant, are everywhere tangent to v.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Usually you are supposed to show effort to get there, but I think this is a case where either you get it or you don't.

[tex]\nabla \psi[/tex] is normal to surfaces of constant [tex]\psi[/tex] and [tex]v\cdot \nabla \psi = 0[/tex]. Fill in the rest.

DavidWhitbeck said:
Usually you are supposed to show effort to get there, but I think this is a case where either you get it or you don't.

[tex]\nabla \psi[/tex] is normal to surfaces of constant [tex]\psi[/tex] and [tex]v\cdot \nabla \psi = 0[/tex]. Fill in the rest.

Thanks a bunch! I'm a new poster and did not know about the effort rule...I had worked on it but did not post what I had worked on.

I was trying to use the fact that if v = [tex]\nabla \times[/tex] [tex]\psi[/tex],

then that would imply that [tex]\psi[/tex] is a stream function, which in cartesian co-ordinates would reduce to:

Vx = [tex]\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial y}[/tex] and Vy = - [tex]\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x}[/tex]

which is basically what the problem had to begin with. Then, since I know that [tex]\psi[/tex] (x,y) is a stream function, doesn't it have to be tangent to v by virtue of the fact that its a streamline?

Are you trying to curl a scalar field??

oh right...i overlooked that part. thanks!

so basically [tex] v. \nabla\psi = 0[/tex] which proves that [tex] v [/tex] and [tex]\nabla\psi[/tex] are perpendicular (since their dot product is 0) and so [tex]\psi[/tex] must be tangent to [tex] v [/tex]

Related to Proof: Everywhere Tangent to Curve?

1. What is the definition of a tangent to a curve?

A tangent to a curve is a straight line that touches the curve at only one point. It represents the slope of the curve at that particular point.

2. How do you find the tangent to a curve at a specific point?

To find the tangent to a curve at a specific point, you can use the derivative of the curve at that point. The derivative represents the slope of the tangent line at that point.

3. Why is the tangent to a curve important in calculus?

The tangent to a curve is important in calculus because it helps us understand the behavior of a curve at a specific point. It allows us to find the slope of the curve at that point and make predictions about the behavior of the curve in the surrounding area.

4. Can a curve have more than one tangent at a point?

No, a curve can only have one tangent at a point. This is because a tangent is a line that touches the curve at only one point, and any other line passing through that point would not satisfy this condition.

5. How is the concept of tangents used in real-world applications?

The concept of tangents is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to determine rates of change, optimize functions, and analyze the behavior of curves in different scenarios.