Understanding the Convergence of Fourier Series for Periodic Functions

In summary, The question is about the proof of the theorem stating that if a function f belongs to the class C^1 on the torus, then its Fourier series converges uniformly to f and also pointwise. The person asking the question has searched for proofs but only found ones that use unexplained theorems or are not clear. They are seeking a proof or explanation for understanding. Another person suggests checking Folland's book and clarifies the meaning of C^1(T). The original person confirms that this book provided a satisfactory proof. There is also a discussion about the meaning of C^1(T) and the possible examples of functions where the Fourier series may not converge. Some clarification is also given about the domain of the function
Swimmingly!
Hey. I'm looking for a proof of:
Theorem: If [itex]f \in C^1(\mathbb{T})[/itex], then the Fourier series converges to f uniformly (and hence also pointwise.)

I have looked around for it, googled, etc, but I only found proofs which used theorem they did not prove. (Or I misunderstood what they said.)
I'd really like to truly understand why they converge, be it uniformly or pointwise. If anyone could either link me to a proof or do it, it'd be great. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check Folland's "Fourier analysis and applications", Theorem 2.5

Likes 1 person
Sorry, I don't know what C^1(T) is. Are these complex functions? And what domain is T?

micromass said:
Check Folland's "Fourier analysis and applications", Theorem 2.5
Completely answered my question. Thanks a lot!

brmath said:
Sorry, I don't know what C^1(T) is. Are these complex functions? And what domain is T?
C^k is the set of functions such that: There exist continuous derivatives of 0th, 1st, 2nd... and kth order.
C^1(T) probably means that f is periodic of period 2π or something of the sorts. The number of senseful meanings is not that big.

Thanks Swimmingly. Then[tex] C^1[/tex] would be real functions that have just one continuous derivative and you guess T means they are periodic. I would guess if they are not periodic one could construct examples where the Fourier series wouldn't converge at all. There is always the famous [tex]{x^2sin1/x}[/tex] which has exactly one continuous derivative at 0.

Last edited:
Bold faced T usually refers to a torus - in this case I assume the one dimensional torus (which is the circle, equivalently we are discussing periodic functions on the real line)

Office_Shredder- Thanks for the clarification. He most likely meant periodic functions on the real line. I personally am more than willing to consider functions on the unit circle -- quite often it helps.

Also, for all, please substitute [tex]x^3sin1/x[/tex] for [tex]x^2sin1/x[/tex] as per my previous post. The first does have one continuous derivative at x = 0. The second has only a discontinuous derivative at x = 0.

What is a Fourier Series?

A Fourier Series is a mathematical tool used to represent a periodic function as a sum of simple sine and cosine functions.

How do you determine if a Fourier Series converges?

The convergence of a Fourier Series can be determined by using the Dirichlet conditions, which state that the function must be periodic, have a finite number of discontinuities within a period, and have a finite number of maxima and minima within a period.

What is the significance of the Dirichlet conditions in determining convergence?

The Dirichlet conditions ensure that the function can be accurately represented by a Fourier Series and that the series will converge to the function's value at any point within a period.

Can a Fourier Series converge to a non-periodic function?

No, a Fourier Series can only converge to a periodic function. If a non-periodic function is given, it can be expressed as a Fourier Series only if it is extended to be a periodic function with infinite period.

Are there any exceptions to the Dirichlet conditions for convergence?

Yes, there are some special cases where a Fourier Series may still converge even if the Dirichlet conditions are not satisfied. These exceptions are known as Gibbs phenomenon and can result in overshoots or ringing near discontinuities in the function.