Can Basic Set Theory Explain Why an Element Belongs to a Set?

A \backslash B## is a subset of ##C \cap D##. I think you're parsing it as ##(A \backslash B) \subset (C \cap D)##, which isn't what it says.
vrble
1. Suppose A \ B[itex]\subseteq[/itex]C[itex]\cap[/itex]D and x[itex]\in[/itex]A. Prove that if x [itex]\notin[/itex]D then x[itex]\in[/itex]B
2. None
3. Proof: Suppose A \ B[itex]\subseteq[/itex]C[itex]\cap[/itex]D, x[itex]\in[/itex]A, and x[itex]\notin[/itex]D. It follows that our first assumption is equivalent to A due to our third assumption. Thus, B[itex]\subseteq[/itex]C[itex]\cap[/itex]D is disjoint and either x[itex]\notin[/itex]B[itex]\subseteq[/itex]C or x[itex]\notin[/itex]D. Let us temporarily assume that it is the case that x[itex]\notin[/itex]B[itex]\subseteq[/itex]C, then this may be expressed equivalently as x[itex]\in[/itex]B and x[itex]\notin[/itex]C, a contradiction with the definition of subsets, thus x must be an element of B and C provided x[itex]\notin[/itex]DI'm not entirely sure if all of my reasoning is correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
vrble said:
1. Suppose A \ B[itex]\subseteq[/itex]C[itex]\cap[/itex]D and x[itex]\in[/itex]A. Prove that if x [itex]\notin[/itex]D then x[itex]\in[/itex]B
2. None
3. Proof: Suppose A \ B[itex]\subseteq[/itex]C[itex]\cap[/itex]D, x[itex]\in[/itex]A, and x[itex]\notin[/itex]D. It follows that our first assumption is equivalent to A due to our third assumption. Thus, B[itex]\subseteq[/itex]C[itex]\cap[/itex]D is disjoint and either x[itex]\notin[/itex]B[itex]\subseteq[/itex]C or x[itex]\notin[/itex]D. Let us temporarily assume that it is the case that x[itex]\notin[/itex]B[itex]\subseteq[/itex]C, then this may be expressed equivalently as x[itex]\in[/itex]B and x[itex]\notin[/itex]C, a contradiction with the definition of subsets, thus x must be an element of B and C provided x[itex]\notin[/itex]DI'm not entirely sure if all of my reasoning is correct.

Yes, the reasoning is rubbish and it's not even very grammatical. I think the easiest way to prove this is to assume that given x is in A and x is NOT in D, assume that x is NOT in B. Can you show that leads to a contradiction? That's something like what you were doing, but could you express it more clearly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dick said:
Yes, the reasoning is rubbish and it's not even very grammatical. I think the easiest way to prove this is to assume that given x is in A and x is NOT in D, assume that x is NOT in B. Can you show that leads to a contradiction? That's something like what you were doing, but could you express it more clearly?
Thank you for your response, I thought that would be the case. The set of exercises this problem comes from are specifically of the form, "If P, then Q. Assume P then prove Q." so I'd prefer to stick to that method of attack. Could you point out some of the things that are incorrect about my reasoning? That would be extremely helpful. I'll attempt to express the proof more clearly after I get a bit of sleep.

vrble said:
Thank you for your response, I thought that would be the case. The set of exercises this problem comes from are specifically of the form, "If P, then Q. Assume P then prove Q." so I'd prefer to stick to that method of attack. Could you point out some of the things that are incorrect about my reasoning? That would be extremely helpful. I'll attempt to express the proof more clearly after I get a bit of sleep.

Let's start with the first sentence. "It follows that our first assumption is equivalent to A due to our third assumption." What does that mean?

And let's stick with the indirect proof for just a bit. Can you show that if you assume that given x is in A and x is NOT in D and x is NOT in B, then x is in A\B and x is not in C∩D?

Last edited:
vrble said:
Is there a mistake in the problem statement? It seems to me that the last statement should be ##x \in C##, not ##x \in B##.

Mark44 said:
Is there a mistake in the problem statement? It seems to me that the last statement should be ##x \in C##, not ##x \in B##.

That wouldn't be true. Pick A={1,2,3}, B={2,3}, C={1,2}, D={1}. Now pick x=3.

Last edited:
Dick said:
Let's start with the first sentence. "It follows that our first assumption is equivalent to A due to our third assumption." What does that mean?

And let's stick with the indirect proof for just a bit. Can you show that if you assume that given x is in A and x is NOT in D and x is NOT in B, then x is in A\B and x is not in C∩D?
I believe that first sentence is a result of my confusion between free and bound variables while examing the definition of intersections. I thought of it as, "For all x, x is in C and x is in D. x is not in D. Therefore, there is not an x such that x is in C and x is in D." Then that lead me to the conclusion that C intersect D is equal to the null set. Also, assuming x was not in D then wouldn't x not be present in the intersection set as well as B due to B being a subset of C intersect D?

Last edited:
vrble said:
I believe that first sentence is a result of my confusion between free and bound variables while examing the definition of intersections. I thought of it as, "For all x, x is in C and x is in D. x is not in D. Therefore, there is not an x such that x is in C and x is in D." Then that lead me to the conclusion that C intersect D is equal to the null set. Also, assuming x was not in D then wouldn't x not be present in the intersection set as well as B due to B being a subset of C intersect D?

I don't understand why you think those things. Why do you think A is a subset of C intersect D? A\B is. Not A. Pick some example sets like I did before.

Last edited:
vrble said:
Also, assuming x was not in D then wouldn't x not be present in the intersection set as well as B due to B being a subset of C intersect D?
Are you misreading the problem statement? The first assumption says that the set ##A\backslash B## is a subset of ##C\cap D##. It sounds like you're somehow parsing the expression as ##A \backslash (B \subset C \cap D)## (whatever that's supposed to mean) otherwise why do you think B is a subset of the intersection of C and D?

Likes 1 person
vela said:
Are you misreading the problem statement? The first assumption says that the set ##A\backslash B## is a subset of ##C\cap D##. It sounds like you're somehow parsing the expression as ##A \backslash (B \subset C \cap D)## (whatever that's supposed to mean) otherwise why do you think B is a subset of the intersection of C and D?
That is exactly what I did, thank you so much. Will post new proof shortly.

Last edited:
vela said:

Well that's perceptive. I never would have thought of reading it that way, since it's wrong. That does explain a lot of strange notions.

Theorem: Suppose that ##A\backslash B## is a subset of ##C\cap D##, and x is an element of [itex]\large A[/itex]. If x is not an element of [itex]\large D[/itex], then x is an element of [itex]\large B[/itex]

Proof:
Suppose that ##A\backslash B## is a subset of ##C\cap D##, x is an element of [itex]\large A[/itex], and x is not an element of [itex]\large D[/itex]. By our assumptions, x is not an element of ##C\cap D## by definition. Thus, x must not be an element of ##A\backslash B## and, in this case, occurs when x is an element of [itex]\large A[/itex] as well as [itex]\large B[/itex]. We assume x is an element of [itex]\large A[/itex] so it must be the case that x is an element of [itex]\large B[/itex] provided x is not an element of [itex]\large D[/itex]. Therefore, If x is not an element of [itex]\large D[/itex], then x is an element of [itex]\large B[/itex] as was to be proved.

vrble said:
Theorem: Suppose that ##A\backslash B## is a subset of ##C\cap D##, and x is an element of [itex]\large A[/itex]. If x is not an element of [itex]\large D[/itex], then x is an element of [itex]\large B[/itex]

Proof:
Suppose that ##A\backslash B## is a subset of ##C\cap D##, x is an element of [itex]\large A[/itex], and x is not an element of [itex]\large D[/itex]. By our assumptions, x is not an element of ##C\cap D## by definition. Thus, x must not be an element of ##A\backslash B## and, in this case, occurs when x is an element of [itex]\large A[/itex] as well as [itex]\large B[/itex]. We assume x is an element of [itex]\large A[/itex] so it must be the case that x is an element of [itex]\large B[/itex] provided x is not an element of [itex]\large D[/itex]. Therefore, If x is not an element of [itex]\large D[/itex], then x is an element of [itex]\large B[/itex] as was to be proved.

Yes, that works. Well done.

Likes 1 person

1. What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It is a foundational theory in mathematics and is used to define and prove many mathematical concepts.

2. What is a proof in set theory?

A proof in set theory is a logical argument that uses basic set theory axioms and rules to demonstrate the validity of a mathematical statement. It involves showing that the statement is true for all elements in a set or sets.

3. What are the basic axioms of set theory?

The basic axioms of set theory include the axiom of extension, which states that two sets are equal if and only if they have the same elements, and the axiom of specification, which allows us to create subsets of a given set based on a specific property or characteristic.

4. How do you prove that two sets are equal?

To prove that two sets are equal, you need to show that they have the same elements. This can be done by using the axiom of extension and showing that every element in one set is also in the other set, and vice versa.

5. What is the difference between a proof by contradiction and a direct proof in set theory?

A proof by contradiction is a method of proof that assumes the opposite of what we want to prove and then shows that this leads to a contradiction, thus proving the original statement. In a direct proof, we start with the given assumptions and use logical steps to arrive at the desired conclusion.