1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof involving Dirac Delta function

1. Sep 14, 2012 #1
    Prove that
    [itex] x \frac{d}{dx} [\delta (x)] = -\delta (x) [/itex]
    this is problem 1.45 out of griffiths book by the way.
    2. Relevant equations
    I attempted to use integration by parts as suggest by griffiths using [itex] f = x , g' = \frac{d}{dx}[/itex]
    This yields [itex] x [\delta (x)] - \int \delta (x)dx[/itex]

next I tried taking the derivative of both sides so that I would get my original
    [itex] x \frac{d}{dx} [\delta (x)] = x \frac{d}{dx}[\delta (x)] [/itex]

and so I'm back where I started. I have also tried using a definite integral so that

[itex]\int _{-\infty }^{\infty }x \frac{d}{dx}[\delta (x)] \text{dx} = \int_{-\infty }^{\infty } x[\delta (x)] \, dx - \int_{-\infty }^{\infty } [\delta (x)] \, dx [/itex]

but we know that [itex]\int_{-\infty }^{\infty } x[\delta (x)] \, dx = 0 [/itex] so our equation simplifies.
    However this didn't get me any closer to solving the problem either.

I also have the second part of the problem regarding the step function which is defined as
    [itex] \theta (x)
    \begin{array}{ll}
    \{ &
    \begin{array}{ll}
    1 & x>0 \\
    0 & x\leq 0 \\
    \end{array}
    \\
    \end{array}
    [/itex] Show that [itex] \frac{d}{dx}\theta (x) =\delta (x)[/itex]

This something I can grasp by stating that

[itex]
    \frac{\Delta \theta }{\text{$\Delta $x}}(x=0 )\longrightarrow 1/0, \text{ as } \text{$\Delta $x}\longrightarrow 0.[/itex]
    which is clearly an undefined(or infinite) slope, and at every other point on this graph the derivative is going to be 0. However I want to know if this is sufficiently rigorous, and if it isn't what a step in the right direction might be.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the first part you should integrate against a test function f(x). Show that integrating f(x)*x*δ'(x) is the same as integrating f(x)*(-δ(x)).

4. Sep 16, 2012 #3
    Alright thanks I will try that. Can you give some sort of reasoning for why this method works to get the answer? It just seems strange to me to introduce a dummy function.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook