Proof of Limit: Lim (-3n^2 + n + 2)/(3n^2 -1)

In summary, the student was able to find the limit of the numerator and denominator, -1, but was unable to complete the proof.
brickcitie

Homework Statement

Find the following limit and prove your results using the definition of the limit:

Lim (-3n^2 + n + 2)/(3n^2 -1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I passed the limit operator (if it is an operator) through and used it's properties to find that the limit is -1. As far as the proof I'm a little stuck. First I tried to solve the inequality which defines a limit for n in terms of epsilon, but I ran into trouble with that.

I think maybe one way to do it is to prove that it is a decreasing sequence with a lower bound of -1, although I'm not even sure if this is the case. I wish I knew how to format this so I could give a better idea of the question and my attempts at it, but I'm brand new and don't know how to do things as simple as write an equation using absolute values, limits, and epsilons. Any help at all is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try dividing the numerator and denominator by n2

I did that but and that's how I found that the limit is -1, but I'm still unable to complete the proof.

Once you do that, can you find the limit of the numerator and the denominator?

Yeah, I was able to find the limit of the numerator and denominator, and thus the limit of the entire expression, which is -1. I have no problem computing the limit, I am just having trouble proving that -1 is the limit using the definition of a limit, or the epsilon delta method.

I mean can you do the limit of the numerator and denominator using definition of a limit. Once you do that, an understanding of how the proof that the limit of a quotient is the quotient of two limits works should guide you the rest of the way.

Alternatively if you haven't seen that before, you should be able to just work off your intuition of how this is supposed to work. Why don't you show how far you're able to go and we can see how to progress from there

Ok awesome thanks for the help Shredder. I will hit the paper with this info and see if I can progress. Will post my progress soon.

Ok so I have made some slight progress I think, but I am unsure whether this is correct. Here is what I did:

Divided both top and bottom by n^2. Numerator is -3 + (1/n) + (2/n^2). Denominator is 3 - (1/n^2).

Went on to try and prove these using dfn of lim. Started with numerator because there was only a single expression containing n. I believe I was able to prove the denominator converges to 3 as long as n > 1/sqrt(epsilon). Is this correct? I hope so.

I am currently working on the numerator but I'm having trouble as I cannot solve for n in terms of epsilon because I have (1/n) + (2/n^2) in my inequality. Do I need to use the quadratic formula? This seems unlikely to me, and I can't imagine this is the most efficient way to proceed.

Any more tips shredder?

I know somebody can help me with this. I'm completely stuck.

In general you aren't going to be able to solve for n. All you want to do is hit the problem with a sledgehammer and hope that the piece that falls off is a good enough bound. In this example

[tex] \frac{1}{n}+\frac{2}{n^2}<\frac{1}{n}+\frac{2}{n}[/tex] (you should figure out why this is true)

So if you can find a bound for n for the right side, you find one for the left side as well (again, make sure you understand why)

Ok I think I see what you mean here. So I need to find a bound for an expression that is easier to solve for n, but is greater than my expression.

Gonna attempt to solve with this method. This freaking problem sucks.

1. What is a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value or point. It is used to determine the exact value of a function at a specific point, or to analyze the overall behavior of a function.

2. How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can use algebraic techniques, such as factoring and simplifying, to get an expression that is in a form that can be evaluated. You can also use graphical methods, such as looking at the behavior of the function on a graph, to determine its limit.

3. What is the proof of limit?

The proof of limit is a mathematical process that uses rigorous logic and principles to show that a function has a specific limit at a given point. It involves using the definition of a limit, which states that for every positive number ε, there exists a corresponding positive number δ such that if the distance between the input and the point is less than δ, the distance between the output and the limit is less than ε.

4. How do you apply the proof of limit to a specific function?

To apply the proof of limit to a specific function, you can use the definition of a limit and apply it to the given function. This involves manipulating the function algebraically to get it into a form that can be evaluated, and then using the definition to show that the limit exists and has a specific value.

5. In the given function, what is the limit as n approaches infinity?

As n approaches infinity, the limit of the given function is -3. This can be shown by factoring out the highest power of n in both the numerator and denominator, which in this case is n^2. As n gets larger and larger, the other terms in the numerator and denominator become insignificant, leaving only -3n^2/n^2, which simplifies to -3.