Proof of adding powers (real analysis)

In summary, the homework statement is trying to prove that br+s=brbs if r and s are rational. The student is trying to figure out how to represent a rational number r and is having trouble with inbetween steps.
EV33

Homework Statement

Prove that br+s=brbs if r and s are rational.

Homework Equations

So far we know the basic field axioms and a a few other things related to powers.
1.) For every real x>0 and every integer n>0 there is one and only one positive real y such that yn=x
2.) if a and b are positive real numbers and n is a positive integer, then (ab)1/n=a1/nb1/n
3.)(ba)b=bab

The Attempt at a Solution

When I look at this problem I don't see any way to use the three facts above. The first thing that jumps at me is the field axiom of multiplicative associativity. So for me I see the proof as going as such.

Asssume r and s are rational. br+s=brbs due to multiplicative associativity. (QED)

Is the proof this simple or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be appreciated.

How can you represent a rational number r?

I could say that r=m/n, s=u/v where m,n,u, and v are all integers and both n and v are not equal to zero. From here I still have the same problem though. I don't have any ideas for any inbetween steps. All I see is a simple regrouping ( associativity). Is there more to than that or is it really this simple?

EV33 said:
I could say that r=m/n, s=u/v where m,n,u, and v are all integers and both n and v are not equal to zero.
OK, that's a start.

The right side of the equation you're trying to prove is brbs. Use the representations above of r and s, and #2 and #3 in your list of relevant equations.
EV33 said:
From here I still have the same problem though. I don't have any ideas for any inbetween steps. All I see is a simple regrouping ( associativity). Is there more to than that or is it really this simple?

1. What is "proof of adding powers" in real analysis?

"Proof of adding powers" is a mathematical concept in real analysis that involves proving the properties of adding powers of real numbers. It is used to show the relationship between the sum of two powers and the product of two powers, as well as other important properties.

2. Why is "proof of adding powers" important in real analysis?

Understanding the proof of adding powers is crucial in real analysis as it is the foundation for many other important concepts and theorems. It helps in solving problems involving polynomials, series, and other mathematical functions.

3. How is "proof of adding powers" different from "proof of multiplying powers"?

The proof of adding powers is based on the distributive property of multiplication over addition, while the proof of multiplying powers is based on the laws of exponents. Additionally, the proof of adding powers deals with the sum of powers of real numbers, while the proof of multiplying powers deals with the product of powers of real numbers.

4. Can you provide an example of "proof of adding powers" in real analysis?

One example of "proof of adding powers" is the proof of the sum of the first n natural numbers, which is given by the formula (n+1)(n/2). This can be proven by using the properties of adding powers, such as the distributive property and the commutative property.

5. How can I improve my understanding of "proof of adding powers" in real analysis?

To improve your understanding of "proof of adding powers," it is important to practice solving problems and proofs involving this concept. You can also refer to textbooks and online resources for more examples and explanations. Collaborating with others and discussing different approaches to proofs can also help improve your understanding.