1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of Cauchy's Inequality ... Sohrab Proposition 2.1.23

1. Aug 7, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am reading Houshang H. Sohrab's book: "Basic Real Analysis" (Second Edition).

I am focused on Chapter 2: Sequences and Series of Real Numbers ... ...

I need help with Proposition 2.1.23/Exercise 2.1.24 (Exercise 2.1.24 asks readers to prove Proposition 2.1.23)

Proposition 2.1.23/Exercise 2.1.24 reads as follows:

?temp_hash=4a50669fed0bf5cd884e74242a2c91d0.png

In the above text by Sohrab, we read the following:

" ... ... Observe that for any ##t \in \mathbb{R}, F(t) = \sum_{ i = 1 }^n ( x_i - t y_i )^2 \ge 0## and look at the discriminant ##Z^2 - XY## of ##F(t)##. ... ... "

Can someone please explain how one proceeds after determining the discriminant and what principles/properties of the discriminant are used ...

2. Relevant equations

The relevant information is given in the problem statement ... basic properties of the real numbers are assumed ...

3. The attempt at a solution

my working so far on the exercise is as follows:

##F(t) = \sum_{ i = 1 }^n ( x_i - t y_i )^2 \ge 0##

Now ... ... ##\sum_{ i = 1 }^n ( x_i - t y_i )^2 \ge 0##

##\Longleftrightarrow \sum_{ i = 1 }^n ( x_i^2 - 2t x_i y_i + t^2 y_i^2) \ge 0##

##\Longleftrightarrow \sum_{ i = 1 }^n x_i^2 - 2 t \sum_{ i = 1 }^n x_i y_i + t^2 \sum_{ i = 1 }^n y_i^2 \ge 0## ... ... ... (1)

... now let ##X = \sum_{ i = 1 }^n x_i^2##, ## \ ## ##Y = \sum_{ i = 1 }^n y_i^2 \ ## and ## \ Z = \sum_{ i = 1 }^n x_i y_i##

Then (1) becomes ##X - 2t Z + Y t^2 \ge 0##

and the discriminant, ##D = 4Z^2 - 4XY##

BUT ... how do we proceed from here .. ... and exactly what properties of the discriminant do we use ...

Help will be appreciated,

Peter

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2017 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

If [itex]ax^2 + bx + c \geq 0[/itex] for all [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex], then its roots are either both zero or a complex conjugate pair.

4. Aug 8, 2017 #3
    Thanks pasmith ... BUT ... I am not sure how to use that fact ...

Peter

EDIT

On further reflection, then the discriminant is less than or equal to zero ... so the result follows ...

I think that that is correct ...

Thanks ...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted