Proof of Rational Root Theorem

It is, but you have to think about it a little bit.In summary, it is proven that if p/q is a rational root of a polynomial with integer coefficients, then q is a factor of the leading coefficient and p is a factor of the constant term. This proof is based on the fact that any finite sum of integers is an integer itself, and using the rational root theorem which states that if p/q is a rational root with gcd(p,q) = 1, then q is a factor of the leading coefficient and p is a factor of the constant term.
Paragon
I want to find a nice and elegant proof of the Rational Root theorem, but I get stuck. I read some stuff on the Internet, but I have not found a complete proof of the theorem. Here's my try:

Say we have a polynomial:

[tex] F(x) = \sum ^{n}_{r = 0} a_{n}x^{n} = a_{n}x^{n} + a_{n - 1}x^{n-1} + ... + a_{1}x + a_{0} [/tex]

where all of the coefficients are integers and [tex] a_{0} [/tex] does not equal zero.

I want to prove that there is a factor of [tex]a_{n}[/tex], call it q, and a factor of [tex]a_{0}[/tex], call it p, so that:

[tex] F(\frac{p}{q}) = 0 [/tex]

p and q are prime numbers. So I want to prove that p is a factor of [tex]a_{0}[/tex] and q is a factor of [tex]a_{n}[/tex]. Next, I insert p/q into F(x):

[tex] F(\frac{p}{q}) = a_{n}\left(\frac{p}{q}\right)^{n} + a_{n-1}\left(\frac{p}{q}\right)^{n-1} + ... + a_{1}\left(\frac{p}{q}\right) + a_{0} = 0 [/tex]

multiplying by [tex] q^{n} [/tex] we get:

[tex] a_{n}p^{n} + a_{n-1}p^{n-1}q + ... + a_{1}p q^{n-1} + a_{0}q^{n} = 0 [/tex]

and factorizing out p:

[tex] p (a_{n}p^{n-1} - a_{n-a}p^{n-2} q - ... - a_{1} q^{n-1}) = a_{0} q^{n} [/tex]

As p, q are prime numbers, the Greatest Common Devisor of p and q is 1, i.e. GCD(p, q) = 1. And hence, p devides [tex]a_{0}[/tex] and is then a factor of [tex]a_{0}[/tex].

As the same kind of argument applies to q being a factor of [tex]a_{n}[/tex], I thought that this proved the theorem (p/q are roots of F(x)), but no... The problem is in:

[tex] p (a_{n}p^{n-1} - a_{n-a}p^{n-2} q - ... - a_{1} q^{n-1}) = a_{0} q^{n} [/tex]

how do I prove that: [tex] a_{n}p^{n-1} - a_{n-a}p^{n-2} q - ... - a_{1} q^{n-1} [/tex] is an integer?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Paragon said:
I want to find a nice and elegant proof of the Rational Root theorem, but I get stuck. I read some stuff on the Internet, but I have not found a complete proof of the theorem. Here's my try:
Say we have a polynomial:
[tex] F(x) = \sum ^{n}_{r = 0} a_{n}x^{n} = a_{n}x^{n} + a_{n - 1}x^{n-1} + ... + a_{1}x + a_{0} [/tex]
where all of the coefficients are integers and [tex] a_{0} [/tex] does not equal zero.
I want to prove that there is a factor of [tex]a_{n}[/tex], call it q, and a factor of [tex]a_{0}[/tex], call it p, so that:
[tex] F(\frac{p}{q}) = 0 [/tex]

You won't be able to prove that. Exercise: find a polynomial with integer coefficients which doesn't have any rational roots.

The "rational root" theorem that /I'm/ familiar with states that if p/q is a rational root of F and gcd(p, q) = 1, then q is a factor of a_n and p is a factor of a_0. (Note that this theorem doesn't guarantee that F actually has any rational roots).

how do I prove that: [tex] a_{n}p^{n-1} - a_{n-a}p^{n-2} q - ... - a_{1} q^{n-1}[/tex] is an integer?

A finite sum of integers is clearly an integer itself.

Firstly, as stated your trying to prove something that is false. There is no reason to suppose that an integer polynomial has *any* rational roots.Then there is the issue of what a rational root might look like even if it had one: consider 2x-1, its rational root is 1/2, and not of the form p/q where p and q are primes,

However, I don't see that issue you have is at all an issue: all of the a_r are integers, p and q are integers, and multiplying and adding together integers yields integers.

Indeed, the fact that the polynomial had rational zeros was a presumption. And p, q are factors of a_0 and a_n.

The statement: "A finite sum of integers is clearly an integer itself." hit the nail =)

Thanks guys, this helped a lot!

Paragon said:
Indeed, the fact that the polynomial had rational zeros was a presumption. And p, q are factors of a_0 and a_n.

You asserted they were primes. They are at best coprime, or prime to each other.

Paragon said:
and factorizing out p:

And hence, p devides [tex]a_{0}[/tex] and is then a factor of [tex]a_{0}[/tex].

My maths isn't that strong. I am having trouble with this proof as well. Basically its the logic of saying that p divides a0 and hence is a factor. Why couldn't q be factored out of the equation (instead of p) and then divide the a0*q^n on the RHS by q and just say that q is a factor of a0 (in addition to a factor of q^n).

Lastly, I don't understand why just because p divides [tex]a_{0}[/tex] means that it is a factor of a0. The logic seems to be that just because q^n can't be factored by p therefor it implies that a0 can be factored by p.

I would approach it from the other end. IF polynomial p(x) has root m/n, then (x- m/n) is a factor: p(x)= (x- m/n)q(x). So np(x)= (nx- m)q(x)= (nx-m)(an-1xn-1+ ...+ a0). It should be obvious from that, that the constant term has m as a factor. It is a little harder, because of that "n" in "np(x)", to see that the leading coefficient has m as a factor.

What is the Rational Root Theorem?

The Rational Root Theorem is a mathematical theorem that helps in finding the possible rational roots of a polynomial equation. It states that if a polynomial has integer coefficients, then any rational root of the polynomial must be of the form p/q where p is a factor of the constant term and q is a factor of the leading coefficient.

How is the Rational Root Theorem used?

The Rational Root Theorem is used to simplify the process of finding the roots of a polynomial equation. By determining the possible rational roots, it narrows down the options and makes it easier to solve for the actual roots.

What is the significance of the Rational Root Theorem?

The Rational Root Theorem is significant because it provides a way to quickly find the rational roots of a polynomial equation without having to use trial and error. It also helps in determining if a polynomial has any rational roots at all.

Can the Rational Root Theorem be applied to all polynomial equations?

The Rational Root Theorem can only be applied to polynomial equations with integer coefficients. If the coefficients are not integers, then the theorem cannot be used to find the rational roots.

Are there any limitations to the Rational Root Theorem?

Yes, the Rational Root Theorem is limited to finding only rational roots. It cannot determine if a polynomial has any irrational or complex roots. It also does not guarantee that the roots found using the theorem are the only roots of the polynomial equation.