Proof of the Power Rule - Stuck at the End

In summary: Thanks for catching that!Yes, I skipped steps out of laziness (meaning, I did them on paper, but I didn't feel like taking the time to write them out here).
Astrum

Homework Statement

Prove that the following

[itex]f'(x)=nx^{n-1}[/itex] if [itex]f(x)=x^{n}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Binomial theorem, definition of the derivative

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]f'(x)=lim_{h\rightarrow0}\frac{f((x+h)^{n})-f(x)}{h}[/tex]

We need to expand the (x+h)^2 term now

[tex]\sum^{n}_{k=0}{n\choose k} x^{n-k}h^{k}={n\choose 0}x^n+{n\choose 1}x^{n-1}h+...+{n\choose k}x^{n-k}h^{k}[/tex]

So, we sub this for the f((x+h)^n) term:

[tex]lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\frac{{n\choose 0}x^n+{n\choose 1}x^{n-1}h+...+{n\choose k}x^{n-k}h^{k}-x}{h}[/tex]

[tex]{n\choose k}=\frac{n!}{(n-k)!k!}[/tex]

This now simplifies to---

[tex]lim_{h\rightarrow0}\frac{x^{n}}{h}+nx^{n-1}-lim_{h\rightarrow0}\frac{x}{h}[/tex]

The first and third terms create only a one sided limit, and they both go to infinity, I'm not sure where I went wrong...

I could just look up the proof, but I'm trying to do it by myself, so I'm only looking for a hint.

I feel like I'm really close, because I have the answer there, I just don't know why those other two terms are messing it up.

There are only two possibilities, either I've gone in the completely wrong direction, or I made a silly mistake somewhere.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your definition of f'(x) is a little strange.

Since f(x) = x^n, then

f'(x) = lim (h -> 0) [(x+h)^n - x^n) / h]

Try expanding now using the Binomial Theorem.

SteamKing said:

Since f(x) = x^n, then

:bugeye:

Thanks, I didn't catch that... how silly.

So, that means those two terms cancel out, and we're left with the correct one.

SteamKing said:

Since f(x) = x^n, then

Astrum said:
:bugeye:

Thanks, I didn't catch that... how silly.

So, that means those two terms cancel out, and we're left with the correct one.

What do you mean by "we're left with the correct one"? There are two terms that do cancel but there are a lot of others and you have to deal with the h's. Have you actually worked it out?

LCKurtz said:
What do you mean by "we're left with the correct one"? There are two terms that do cancel but there are a lot of others and you have to deal with the h's. Have you actually worked it out?

Yes, I skipped steps out of laziness (meaning, I did them on paper, but I didn't feel like taking the time to write them out here).

The h on the bottom cancels out and all the hs on the top go to 0.

Related to Proof of the Power Rule - Stuck at the End

1. What is the power rule?

The power rule is a mathematical rule that allows you to find the derivative of a function that is raised to a power. In other words, it is used to find the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. How do you apply the power rule?

To apply the power rule, you need to first identify the function that is raised to a power. Then, you multiply the power by the coefficient of the function and subtract 1 from the original power. This new number becomes the new power and the original coefficient remains unchanged.

3. Can you provide an example of applying the power rule?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x) = 2x^3. To find the derivative of this function, we would first multiply the power (3) by the coefficient (2), which gives us 6x^2. Then, we subtract 1 from the original power (3-1 = 2), so our new function is f'(x) = 6x^2.

4. When is the power rule most commonly used?

The power rule is most commonly used when finding the derivatives of polynomial functions. It can also be used in other types of functions, such as exponential and logarithmic functions.

5. Are there any limitations to the power rule?

Yes, the power rule can only be applied to functions where the variable is raised to a constant power. It cannot be used when the power is a variable or when the function is raised to a power that is not a whole number.