1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of the Power Rule - Stuck at the End

1. Jan 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that the following

[itex]f'(x)=nx^{n-1}[/itex] if [itex]f(x)=x^{n}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    Binomial theorem, definition of the derivative

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]f'(x)=lim_{h\rightarrow0}\frac{f((x+h)^{n})-f(x)}{h}[/tex]

We need to expand the (x+h)^2 term now

[tex]\sum^{n}_{k=0}{n\choose k} x^{n-k}h^{k}={n\choose 0}x^n+{n\choose 1}x^{n-1}h+...+{n\choose k}x^{n-k}h^{k}[/tex]

So, we sub this for the f((x+h)^n) term:

[tex]lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\frac{{n\choose 0}x^n+{n\choose 1}x^{n-1}h+...+{n\choose k}x^{n-k}h^{k}-x}{h}[/tex]

[tex]{n\choose k}=\frac{n!}{(n-k)!k!}[/tex]

This now simplifies to---

[tex]lim_{h\rightarrow0}\frac{x^{n}}{h}+nx^{n-1}-lim_{h\rightarrow0}\frac{x}{h}[/tex]

The first and third terms create only a one sided limit, and they both go to infinity, I'm not sure where I went wrong....

I could just look up the proof, but I'm trying to do it by myself, so I'm only looking for a hint.

I feel like I'm really close, because I have the answer there, I just don't know why those other two terms are messing it up.

There are only two possibilities, either I've gone in the completely wrong direction, or I made a silly mistake somewhere.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your definition of f'(x) is a little strange.

Since f(x) = x^n, then

f'(x) = lim (h -> 0) [(x+h)^n - x^n) / h]

Try expanding now using the Binomial Theorem.

4. Jan 20, 2013 #3
    :bugeye:

Thanks, I didn't catch that.... how silly.

So, that means those two terms cancel out, and we're left with the correct one.

5. Jan 20, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you mean by "we're left with the correct one"? There are two terms that do cancel but there are a lot of others and you have to deal with the h's. Have you actually worked it out?

6. Jan 20, 2013 #5
    Yes, I skipped steps out of laziness (meaning, I did them on paper, but I didn't feel like taking the time to write them out here).

The h on the bottom cancels out and all the hs on the top go to 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook