Why is the product rule for derivatives incorrect?

In summary: Here's an example: let f(x) = x2, and g(x) = x2. Then by your version of the product rule, d/dx(f(x) g(x)) = 2x * 3x2 = 6x3. However, if you consider f'(x) to be the limit of f(x) as x approaches infinity, then you get f'(x) = x*(1+x^2), which is (6x3)-(x*(1+x^2)) = 6x2. So the product rule is actually the same as the limit rule.
Dramacon
Hello there!

I understand the product rule and how/why it works, and the proof makes sense,
but just out of curiosity, why would it be incorrect on a mathematical/application level to say that d/dx f(x)g(x) = f'(x)g'(x)

I know that it's wrong, and the product rule is the one that we're supposed to use, but I don't understand on a practical level WHY it's wrong.

Please help! Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Dramacon said:
Hello there!

but just out of curiosity, why would it be incorrect on a mathematical/application level to say that d/dx f(x)g(x) = f'(x)g'(x)
Because it doesn't give the right answer!

Here's an example: let f(x) = x2, and g(x) = x2. Then by your version of the product rule, d/dx(f(x) g(x)) = 2x * 3x2 = 6x3.

OTOH, f(x)*g(x) = x5, so d/dx(f(x)*g(x) ) = 5x4.

The real product rule gives this result, which you can confirm.
Dramacon said:
I know that it's wrong, and the product rule is the one that we're supposed to use, but I don't understand on a practical level WHY it's wrong.

Well, product rule is something which can be derived in few steps.

Let y= f(x) and z= g(x)
Let h(x)=f(x)g(x)
For any x, h(x)=f(x)g(x)=yz
To map changes, we say that if x increases by dx, let change in y be dy and change in z be dz.
So h(x+dx)= f(x+dx)g(x+dx)=(y+dy)(z+dz)

=yz+ydz+zdy+dz*dy
=yz+ydz+zdy as last term is v v v small .

Now h'(x) is defined as
((h+dx)-h(x))/dx

What do you see?

Haha, that was simpler than I thought! :D Thank you so much!

Dramacon said:
Hello there!

Oh there's a cool visualization.

Take a rectangle with width w and height h. Draw a picture of it.

Now increase the width by delta-w and the height by delta-h. Draw the picture and you'll see you now have now increased the area wh by the sum of three new rectangles. As delta-w and delta-h get close to zero, the corner rectangle with area (delta-h)(delta-w) gets MUCH smaller than the other two rectangles so you can ignore it ... and voila, you have the product rule.

I googled around and found a picture ...

proof-2-of-product-rule.JPG

Your welcome. :-)

Btw the last post is amazing.
Nice one Steve

Dramacon said:
Hello there!

well, I guess it depends on how you want to interpret(define) f'(x). If you interpret f'(x) as the rate of change of f with respect to x at a given point which is associated with the slope of the tangent line passing through the graph of f at that point (That's how the derivative of a function is defined as you know), then you could simply check that (fg)'=f'g' does not tell you the rate of change of (fg)(x) with respect to x. If you want to see this, just take two arbitrary functions, like f(x)=x and g(x)=1+x^2, then (fg)(x)=x(1+x^2). Now graph (fg)(x) and try to manually calculate the slop of fg at the point x=0 for instance. That means choose a small interval centered at x=0 and calculate the line that passes through the beginning and ending points of the interval on the graph. If you do this, you'll see that the slope of the tangent line at x=0 would be 1, but if you defined (fg)'=f'g' then you would get 0 which is not certainly not true.(It's also very easy to check if you look at the graph of fg: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=x%281%2Bx^2%29)
If you still doubt that it's very reasonable to define (fg)'=(f').g+(g').f then you could directly obtain the formula using the definition of derivative.

1. What is the product rule in calculus?

The product rule in calculus is a formula used to find the derivative of a product of two functions. It states that the derivative of the product of two functions is equal to the first function times the derivative of the second function, plus the second function times the derivative of the first function.

2. Why is the product rule important?

The product rule is important because it allows us to find the derivative of more complex functions by breaking them down into simpler components. It is a fundamental rule in calculus and is used extensively in applications such as optimization, physics, and engineering.

3. How do you prove the product rule?

The product rule can be proved using the limit definition of the derivative and the properties of limits. Essentially, we take the limit of the difference quotient (the formula for the derivative) as the change in x approaches 0 and show that it is equal to the product rule formula.

4. Can the product rule be extended to more than two functions?

Yes, the product rule can be extended to any number of functions. For example, the derivative of three functions multiplied together would be the first function times the derivative of the second and third functions, plus the second function times the derivative of the first and third functions, plus the third function times the derivative of the first and second functions, and so on.

5. How is the product rule used in real-world applications?

The product rule is used in various real-world applications, such as calculating the rate of change in business and economics, determining optimal production levels in manufacturing, and analyzing the motion of objects in physics. It is also used in finance to calculate the interest rates of compound investments and in biology to model population growth and decay.