Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of traceless gamma matrices

1. Sep 14, 2012 #1
    Hi I'm trying to figure out the proof of why the gamma matrices are traceless. I found a proof at wikipedia under 'trace identities' here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_matrices

(it's the 0'th identity)
    and from the clifford algebra relation

[tex] \{\gamma^\mu, \gamma^\nu\} = 2\eta^{\mu \nu}[/tex]

one get that

[tex] \frac{\gamma^\mu \gamma^\mu}{\eta^{\mu \mu}} = I[/tex]

thus

[tex] Tr(\gamma^\nu) = \frac{1}{\eta^{\mu \mu}} Tr(\gamma^\nu \gamma^\mu \gamma^\mu) = \frac{1}{\eta^{\mu \mu}} Tr(\{\gamma^\nu, \gamma^\mu\} \gamma^\mu - \gamma^\mu \gamma^\nu \gamma^\mu)[/tex]

and here it seems like they set

[tex]\frac{1}{\eta^{\mu \mu}} Tr(\{\gamma^\nu, \gamma^\mu\} \gamma^\mu) = \frac{1}{\eta^{\mu \mu}} Tr(2 \eta^{\nu \mu} \gamma^\mu ) = 0.[/tex]

But why is this true?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2012 #2
    Ah it seems like it was assumed that [tex]\mu \neq \nu[/tex].

4. Sep 15, 2012 #3
    If you assume $$\mu\neq \nu$$ then you have $$\gamma^{\nu}\gamma^{\mu}=-\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{\nu}$$ and so you have (using the invariance of the trace under cyclic permutations of the matrices):

$$Tr(\gamma^{\nu})=\frac{1}{\eta^{\mu\mu}}Tr( \gamma^{\nu} \gamma^\mu \gamma^\mu)=\frac{1}{\eta^{\mu\mu}}Tr( \gamma^\mu \gamma^\nu \gamma^\mu)$$

You can now anticommutate and thus obtain:

$$-\frac{1}{\eta^{\mu\mu}}Tr(\gamma^\nu \gamma^\mu \gamma^\mu)=-Tr(\gamma^\nu) \Rightarrow Tr(\gamma^\nu)=-Tr(\gamma^\nu)=0$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook