Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of Uniform Continuity

1. Nov 24, 2008 #1
    From my textbook, this is the proof given for a theorem stating that any function continuous in a closed interval is automatically uniformly continuous in that interval.

Proof: "If f were not uniformly continuous in [a, b] there would exist a fixed [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex] and points x, z in [a, b] arbitrarily close to each other for which [tex]|f(x) - f(z)| \ge \epsilon[/tex]. It would then be possible for every n to choose points [tex]x_n, z_n [/tex] in [a, b] for which [tex]|f(x_n) - f(z_n)| \ge \epsilon[/tex] and [tex]|x_n - z_n| < 1/n[/tex]. Since the [tex]x_n[/tex] form a bounded sequence of numbers we could find a subsequence converging to a point c of the interval (using the compactness of closed intervals). The corresponding values [tex]z_n[/tex] would then also converge to c: since f is continuous at c, we would find that [tex]c = lim f(x_n) = lim f(z_n) [/tex] for n tending to infinity in the subsequence, which is impossible if [tex]|f(x_n) - f(z_n)| \ge \epsilon[/tex] for all n."

I understand everything except one thing: Why is c equal to the limit of [tex]f(x_n)[/tex]? If you cut out that part and just say that since [tex]x_n[/tex] and [tex]z_n[/tex] both converge to c, then [tex]lim f(x_n) = lim f(z_n)[/tex] and there we have our contradiction.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2008 #2
    Shouldn't it be

\lim_{n\to\infty} f(x_n) = f(c) = \lim_{n\to\infty} f(z_n)?

Looks like a mistake where c and f(c) are confused.
  4. Nov 24, 2008 #3
    That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. Glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking that :)
  5. Nov 24, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

given any open cover of a closed bounded interval, there is a positive number e such that every interval of diameter e is entirely contained in one of the open intervals. qed.
  6. Nov 28, 2008 #5
    Hopefully that interval is bounded too...otherwise things could get nasty.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?