Analyzing Logical Arguments: Not A, B or Not C, B→ (A and D), E→(C)

Instead, I should have used the Law of Non-Contradiction, which states not (x and not x). Therefore, Step 5 should be not b by the Law of Non-Contradiction and Step 6 should be not c by Modus Tollens. This leads to the conclusion that not e by Step 4 and Modus Tollens, which satisfies the hypothesis and leads to the conclusion that not e is true. In summary, the given hypotheses can be logically deduced to the conclusion that not e is true.
Jennifer_T

Homework Statement

Hypotheses: not a, b or not c, b→ (a and d), e→(c)

Conclusion: not e

2. The attempt at a solution:

So far, I have this: 1) not a as premise

2) b or not c as premise

3) b→ (a and d) as premise

4) e→(c) as premise

5) a by Step 1 and Law of Excluded Middle.

6) c is true by Step 5 and 4 a and e→c and Modus Ponens.

7) c→b is true by Step 2 and implication.

8) b→a and b→d by Step 3.

I am unsure of what my next step(s) should be. I feel that it may be ((e implies c) and not c) implies not e) (Modus Tollens). I maybe should have 9) not c by Step 6 and Law of Excluded Middle. And then 10) ((e implies c) and not c) implies not e) (Modus Tollens).

Physics news on Phys.org
please explain your point 5). It's wrong, but I want to know what your reasoning was.

Joffan said:
please explain your point 5). It's wrong, but I want to know what your reasoning was.
I actually see my mistake. I was thinking of Law of Excluded Middle, but that actually states x or not x which means that my point was wrong.

1. What is the basic structure of a logical argument?

The basic structure of a logical argument consists of a set of premises and a conclusion. The premises are statements or facts that are used to support or justify the conclusion. The conclusion is the statement that is being argued for or proved.

2. How do you analyze a logical argument?

To analyze a logical argument, you must first identify the premises and the conclusion. Then, you must determine if the premises logically support the conclusion. This involves evaluating the validity and soundness of the argument. You can also use tools such as truth tables or Venn diagrams to visualize the logical relationships between the statements.

3. What is the meaning of "not A" in a logical argument?

"Not A" in a logical argument means that the statement A is false or not true. This is also known as the negation of A. In other words, if A is true, then "not A" is false, and vice versa.

4. What does "B→ (A and D)" mean in a logical argument?

"B→ (A and D)" means that if B is true, then both A and D must also be true. This is known as a conditional statement, where B is the antecedent and (A and D) is the consequent. If B is false, then the truth value of (A and D) is irrelevant in this statement.

5. How do you interpret "E→(C)" in a logical argument?

"E→(C)" means that if E is true, then C must also be true. This is another conditional statement, where E is the antecedent and C is the consequent. If E is false, then the truth value of C is irrelevant in this statement.