Proof that LCM(c,d) divides LCM(a,b), known GCD(a,b) divides GCD(c,d)

• Thread starter Ceci020
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses the set of multiples of two natural numbers, denoted by S, and its relationship to the least common multiple (LCM) of those numbers. It is proven that if two numbers divide two other numbers, then their GCD also divides the GCD of the other numbers. The question is then posed to prove that the LCM of two numbers also divides the LCM of two other numbers. The thought process of the speaker involves considering the definition of set S and attempting to prove that the LCM of the second pair of numbers satisfies the properties of set S. However, further clarification or hints are needed to proceed with the proof.
Ceci020
** Homework Statement
1/
set S = set of the multiples of any two natural numbers a, b
S = {n in N such that a|n and b|n}

2/
Denote min(S) = LCM(a,b) = least common multiple of a and b

From previous result, I already proved that :
If a divides c and if b divides d, then GCD(a,b) divides GCD(c,d)

Now the question is to prove: LCM(a,b) divides LCM(c,d)

** My thoughts:
By definition of set S, x = LCM(a,b) satisfies the fact that a|n and b|n for n in N
I think, y = LCM(c,d) satisfies set S when c|m and d|m for m in N

But after that, I get confused on what to do next.
I think of trying to prove: LCM(c,d) = k * LCM(a,b), but I'm not sure if this is the right direction, or I need to do something else.

Could someone please give me on hints on what to do? Thank you in advance.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: If a|n and b|n, then LCM(a,b)|n

1. What is LCM and GCD?

LCM stands for Least Common Multiple, which is the smallest positive integer that is divisible by both numbers. GCD stands for Greatest Common Divisor, which is the largest positive integer that divides both numbers.

2. How do you find the LCM and GCD of two numbers?

To find the LCM, you can use the method of prime factorization, where you break down both numbers into their prime factors and then multiply the highest powers of each prime factor. To find the GCD, you can also use the method of prime factorization and then multiply the common prime factors.

3. Can you provide an example of LCM and GCD calculation?

Sure, let's say we have two numbers, 12 and 18. To find the LCM, we break them down into their prime factors: 12 = 2 x 2 x 3 and 18 = 2 x 3 x 3. Then, we multiply the highest powers of each prime factor, which gives us 2 x 2 x 3 x 3 = 36. To find the GCD, we also break them down into their prime factors and find the common ones, which are 2 and 3. Then, we multiply them together, giving us 2 x 3 = 6.

4. How does the given proof show that LCM(c,d) divides LCM(a,b) and GCD(a,b) divides GCD(c,d)?

The proof shows that if a number (c or d) is a multiple of another number (a or b), then their LCM (c or d) must be a multiple of the LCM of the other two numbers (a or b). Similarly, if a number (c or d) can divide another number (a or b), then their GCD (c or d) must also divide the GCD of the other two numbers (a or b).

5. Why is this proof important in mathematics and science?

This proof is important because it is a fundamental property of numbers that is used in various mathematical and scientific calculations. It helps us understand the relationship between LCM and GCD, and how they are affected by the division and multiplication of numbers. This proof is also used in other mathematical concepts, such as fractions, ratios, and proportions.