1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof that linear operator has no square root

1. Nov 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose [tex]T \in L(\textbf{C}^3)[/tex] defined by [tex]T(z_{1}, z_{2}, z_{3}) = (z_{2}, z_{3}, 0)[/tex]. Prove that T has no square root. More precisely, prove that there does not exist [tex]S \in L(\textbf{C}^3)[/tex] such that [tex]S^{2} = T[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I showed in a previous exercise that if T is a linear operator on a vector space V (in this case, [tex]V = \textbf{C}^3[/tex] and there exists a positive integer m and a vector v in V such that [tex]T^{m-1}v \neq 0[/tex] but [tex]T^{m}v = 0[/tex] then the vectors [tex](v, Tv, ..., T^{m-1}v)[/tex] are linearly independent.

First notice that for there is at least one vector v such that [tex]T^{2}v \neq 0[/tex] but that [tex]T^{3}v = 0[/tex] for all v in V. Therefore i can choose a basis for V of the form [tex](v, Tv, T^{2}v)[/tex] for some v in V.

Suppose S is a square root of T so that [tex]S^{2} = T[/tex]. then by the previous reasoning, the vector list [tex](v, S^{2}v, S^{4}v)[/tex] form a basis of V.

However we know that [tex]S^{6} = T^{3} = 0[/tex] so we're face with two possibilities:
    either [tex]S^{5}v = 0[/tex] which would make [tex](v, Sv, S^{2}v, S^{3}v, S^{4}v)[/tex] linearly independent, but that impossible since we know that [tex](v, S^{2}v, S^{4}v)[/tex] spans V. A similar reasoning applies if we assume that [tex]S^{5}v \neq 0[/tex].

I'm looking for someone to verify my proof because i'm not very sure about it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would say "[tex]S^5 = 0[/tex]" instead of "[tex]S^5 v = 0[/tex]" (or at least "[tex]S^5 v = 0[/tex] for all v"). And I would also expand on what would happen if [tex]S^5 \neq 0[/tex]. Other than that, this looks good.

4. Nov 15, 2008 #3
    Alright, thank you :)

5. Nov 15, 2008 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you're interested in seeing other cute approaches -- what is the minimal polynomial of T look like? Using that, find a polynomial that S satisfies. What can the minimal polynomial of S be?

Another one... can you apply anything you know about nilpotent matrices?

6. Nov 16, 2008 #5
    The minimal polynomial of T is [tex]p(z) = z^{3}[/tex]. The minimal polynomial of the square root of T would have a degree greater than 3 (i guess it's degree would either be 5 or 6 but cannot be less, is there a way to tell which it would be?). But that's impossible because the degree of the minimal polynomial of an operator on a vector space V is at most dim V, and in this case dim V = 3.

I know that nilpotent matrices have 0 as their only eigenvalue.. is this what you mean? I'm not sure how to use this to solve this problem.

7. Nov 16, 2008 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Baby steps. First find any polynomial satisfied by the square root of T. Then try to find the minimal one.

8. Nov 16, 2008 #7
    since [tex]T^{3} = 0[/tex], we have that [tex]S^{6} = 0[/tex]. So [tex]p(z) = z^{6}[/tex] is a polynomial that square root of T satisfies.
    Therefore we can say that the minimal polynomial of S must divide [tex]p(z) = z^{6}[/tex]. So it's either one of [tex]1, z, z^{2}, z^{3}, z^{4}, z^{5}, or z^{6}[/tex].

Now i think it cannot be any of [tex]1, z, z^{2}, z^{3}, z^{4}[/tex] because [tex]S^{4} = T^{2} \neq 0[/tex]. so the minimal polynomial is either [tex]z^{5}[/tex] or [tex]z^{6}[/tex]. is this correct?

9. Nov 16, 2008 #8

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Exactly. And now, we can apply your argument that this is impossible, because the degree cannot exceed 3!

10. Nov 16, 2008 #9
    cool, thank you :)
    could you tell me what you meant by applying something i know about nilpotent matrices? I know that 0 is the only eigenvalue of a nilpotent matrix. Is that helpful?

I'm learning this stuff on my own and i'm interested in finding different approaches for every problem.

11. Nov 16, 2008 #10

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hadn't thought it through -- it just seemed like a good line of attack. If that had been my first idea, I think it would probably just have led me to the minimal polynomial version.

12. Nov 16, 2008 #11
    okay i see, thanks for your help anyway :)

13. Jul 23, 2011 #12
    If you don't want to deal with minimal polynomials, you could also look at the problem this way: Assume there exists an S such that S^2=T. Since T^3=0,we know that S^6=0. Thus, S is nilpotent, which implies that S^(dim(C^3))=0 (this is a basic theorem in my textbook). The dimension of C^3 is 3, so S^3=0. But that means that S^4=S(S^3)=S(0)=0. Since S^4=0, we know T^2=0. But this is a contradiction because we can see that T^2(z1,z2,z3)=T(Z2,Z3,0)=(Z^3,0,0), which is not equal to 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?