Proving Nonnegativity of 3 Numbers with Crazy Exponents | Nonconstructive Proof

In summary, the problem is to show that the product of two of the given numbers is nonnegative, without evaluating the numbers. The proof is likely nonconstructive, as the goal is not to find a specific element to make the statement true, but to determine it in another way. It may be possible to use the law of exponents to show that the product will be positive, even though the individual numbers have negative values.
n00neimp0rtnt

Homework Statement

I barely even know where to begin with this proof:

Show that the product of two of the numbers 651000 - 82001 + 3177, 791212 - 92399 + 22001 and 244493 - 58192 + 71777 is nonnegative.

I also have to state if it is constructive or nonconstructive, and I'm not supposed to evaluate the numbers.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The most I can come up with so far is that the proof is likely "nonconstructive" since I am not out to find a single element to make the statement true; I have to determine it in another fashion.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
n00neimp0rtnt said:

Homework Statement

I barely even know where to begin with this proof:

Show that the product of two of the numbers 651000 - 82001 + 791212 - 92399 + 2001 and 244493 - 58192 + 71777 is nonnegative.

I also have to state if it is constructive or nonconstructive, and I'm not supposed to evaluate the numbers.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The most I can come up with so far is that the proof is likely "nonconstructive" since I am not out to find a single element to make the statement true; I have to determine it in another fashion.

Well, I have not studied this so please take my suggestion with a grain of salt but: it seems to me that, according to the law of exponents, you can add exponents to arrive at a value (1000-2001+1212-2399 = -187). When you do this, both numbers have a negative value (though we do not know the magnitude), which means the product will have to be positive.

Last edited:
I have revised the equation. Can anyone assist me?

What is the definition of a "crazy" exponent?

A "crazy" exponent refers to an exponent that is either extremely large or extremely small, making it difficult to work with in mathematical equations. These exponents are typically expressed in scientific notation.

How do you solve equations with crazy exponents?

To solve equations with crazy exponents, you can use the rules of exponents to simplify the expression. For example, you can use the power rule to multiply the exponents when raising a power to a power, or the quotient rule to divide the exponents when dividing two powers with the same base.

Can you provide an example of a problem with a crazy exponent?

Sure, an example of a problem with a crazy exponent would be: 6.02 x 1023 x 2.99 x 10-25. This number is a result of multiplying two numbers in scientific notation, and the exponent represents the number of decimal places the decimal point needs to be moved.

How do you convert a number with a crazy exponent to standard form?

To convert a number with a crazy exponent to standard form, you can simply move the decimal point the number of places indicated by the exponent. If the exponent is positive, move the decimal point to the right; if it is negative, move the decimal point to the left.

Why are crazy exponents important in science?

Crazy exponents are important in science because they allow us to express very large or very small numbers in a more compact and manageable form. This is particularly useful in fields such as chemistry and physics, where measurements often involve extremely large or small quantities.