1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proofs on Limit and Derivatives

1. May 8, 2007 #1
    1) Prove that f defined by
    f(x)= e^(-1/|x|), x=/=0,
    f(x)= 0, x=0
    is differentiable at 0.

[I used the definition of derivative
    f'(0)=lim [f(0+h)-f(0)] / h = lim [e^(-1/|h|) / h]
    h->0 h->0
    and I am stuck here and unable to proceed...]

2) Suppose lim (x->a) f(x) = L exists and f(x)>0 for all x not =a. Use the definition of limit to prove that L>0.

[when I draw a picture, I can see that this is definitely true, but how can I go about proving it?]

Thanks for your help!:smile:
    Last edited: May 8, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For the second one, start with the definition of limit. Suppose L is less than zero, and show there must be some f(x) for x near a such that f(x) is quite close to L, and hence negative (in more formal terms of course)
  4. May 8, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Let k= 1/h so that you have
    [tex]\lim_{k\rightarrow \infty} ke^-k[/itex]
    and use L'Hopital's rule.

You mean "limit as x goes to a of f(x)", not " limit of (x-a)f(x)" surely, since in the second case this is not true. Use 'indirect proof'. Suppose L< 0 and take [itex]\epsilon[/itex]= L/2 in the definiton of limit.
  5. May 8, 2007 #4
    1) But there is an absolute value |h|, letting k=1/h won't get rid of the absolute value, right?

2) Sorry, that's a typo...I have corrected it...
    How do you know how epsilon you are going to pick? I am personally having terrible trouble knowing what epsilon to pick to do this kind of proofs...
  6. May 8, 2007 #5
    Can someone please help me? I will be writing my finals tomorrow...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?