Proove that e^x is always positive

In summary, the exponential function satisfies f(a+b)=f(a)f(b), is the inverse to the ln, and is restricted by the condition: exp(x)≥1+x.
aaaa202
May sound trivial but I don't find it trivial from the things I am given as a definition of the exponential function:

The exponential function satisfies f(a+b)=f(a)f(b), is the inverse to the ln and is restricted by the condition:
exp(x)≥1+x

I can't see how I can from this only proove that it is always positive. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:
May sound trivial but I don't find it trivial from the things I am given as a definition of the exponential function:

The exponential function satisfies f(a+b)=f(a)f(b), is the inverse to the ln and is restricted by the condition:
exp(x)≥1+x

I can't see how I can from this only proove that it is always positive. Can anyone help?

If you are given exp(x)≥1+x then you already know exp(x)>0 if x≥0, right? So try and think of a way to show it if x<0.

ugh yeah that is where the hard work comes in for my part.

I have tried: exp(-x) ≥ 1 - x

So exp(x) ≤ 1/(1-x)

but that, as you can see, didn't get me anywhere.

But maybe this will do: for x>0

exp(x)exp(-x) = 1 which means exp(x) must be positive for x<0?

aaaa202 said:
ugh yeah that is where the hard work comes in for my part.

I have tried: exp(-x) ≥ 1 - x

So exp(x) ≤ 1/(1-x)

but that, as you can see, didn't get me anywhere.

But maybe this will do: for x>0

exp(x)exp(-x) = 1 which means exp(x) must be positive for x<0?

Well, what do YOU think?

Yes!

I just want to say that there's a much easier way than what's been discussed so far.

and that is?

aaaa202 said:
Yes!

There's probably a lot of ways to do it. But since you have those givens, I can't think of anything much easier. BTW you weren't really given that exp(0)=1. You just know exp(0)>0, which is enough. You can, of course, prove exp(0)=1 from what you are given.

We're only supposed to give hints, not complete solutions, but since you have found one solution I guess it's OK. What I had in mind is to use that 1=1/2+1/2.
$$e^x=e^{\frac 1 2 x+\frac 1 2 x}=\left(e^{\frac 1 2 x}\right)^2\geq 0.$$ Of course, you still have to prove that ##e^x\neq 0## for all x. But this is easy. Suppose that it's not true. Let y be a real number such that ##e^y=0##. Let x be an arbitrary real number.
$$0=e^{x-y}0=e^{x-y}e^y=e^{x-y+y}=e^x.$$ Since x is arbitrary, this contradicts that ##e^0\geq 1##.

When I said that this is "much" easier, I didn't realize that we still had to prove that ##e^x\neq 0## after the first step.

Fredrik said:
We're only supposed to give hints, not complete solutions, but since you have found one solution I guess it's OK. What I had in mind is to use that 1=1/2+1/2.
$$e^x=e^{\frac 1 2 x+\frac 1 2 x}=\left(e^{\frac 1 2 x}\right)^2\geq 0.$$ Of course, you still have to prove that ##e^x\neq 0## for all x. But this is easy. Suppose that it's not true. Let y be a real number such that ##e^y=0##. Let x be an arbitrary real number.
$$0=e^{x-y}0=e^{x-y}e^y=e^{x-y+y}=e^x.$$ Since x is arbitrary, this contradicts that ##e^0\geq 1##.

When I said that this is "much" easier, I didn't realize that we still had to prove that ##e^x\neq 0## after the first step.

Sure, f(0)=0 also satisfies f(a+b)=f(a)f(b). You need some other input. f(0) not equal to 0 would have been adequate. They gave you more than you really needed.

1. What is e^x and why is it important in mathematics?

e^x, also known as the exponential function, is a mathematical constant that is approximately equal to 2.71828. It is important because it appears in many natural phenomena and mathematical models, and has numerous applications in fields such as physics, biology, and finance.

2. How can you prove that e^x is always positive?

To prove that e^x is always positive, we can use the definition of the exponential function, which states that e^x is equal to the infinite sum of 1 + x + (x^2)/2! + (x^3)/3! + ... This infinite sum is always positive, as each term is positive and the sum of positive numbers is always positive. Therefore, e^x is always positive.

3. Can you provide a real-life example of e^x being positive?

Yes, one example is when calculating compound interest. When an initial amount of money is invested at a certain interest rate, the balance will grow over time according to the formula A = Pe^(rt), where A is the final amount, P is the initial amount, r is the interest rate, and t is the time in years. As time increases, the value of e^(rt) also increases, resulting in a positive final amount.

4. Are there any exceptions to e^x being always positive?

No, there are no exceptions. As mentioned earlier, the exponential function is defined as an infinite sum of positive terms, so the result will always be positive. Additionally, the value of e^x is never equal to 0, as the value of x approaches negative infinity.

5. How does the graph of e^x demonstrate that it is always positive?

The graph of e^x is a curve that starts at the point (0, 1) and increases rapidly as x increases. This demonstrates that the value of e^x is always positive, as the y-values on the graph are all positive. The graph also never crosses the x-axis, further illustrating that e^x is never equal to 0.