1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proove that e^x is always positive

1. Feb 16, 2013 #1
    May sound trivial but I don't find it trivial from the things I am given as a definition of the exponential function:

The exponential function satisfies f(a+b)=f(a)f(b), is the inverse to the ln and is restricted by the condition:
    exp(x)≥1+x

I can't see how I can from this only proove that it is always positive. Can anyone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you are given exp(x)≥1+x then you already know exp(x)>0 if x≥0, right? So try and think of a way to show it if x<0.

4. Feb 16, 2013 #3
    ugh yeah that is where the hard work comes in for my part.

I have tried: exp(-x) ≥ 1 - x

So exp(x) ≤ 1/(1-x)

but that, as you can see, didn't get me anywhere.

But maybe this will do: for x>0

exp(x)exp(-x) = 1 which means exp(x) must be positive for x<0?

5. Feb 16, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, what do YOU think?

6. Feb 16, 2013 #5
    Yes!

7. Feb 16, 2013 #6

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just want to say that there's a much easier way than what's been discussed so far.

8. Feb 16, 2013 #7
    and that is?

9. Feb 16, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's probably a lot of ways to do it. But since you have those givens, I can't think of anything much easier. BTW you weren't really given that exp(0)=1. You just know exp(0)>0, which is enough. You can, of course, prove exp(0)=1 from what you are given.

10. Feb 16, 2013 #9

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We're only supposed to give hints, not complete solutions, but since you have found one solution I guess it's OK. What I had in mind is to use that 1=1/2+1/2.
    $$e^x=e^{\frac 1 2 x+\frac 1 2 x}=\left(e^{\frac 1 2 x}\right)^2\geq 0.$$ Of course, you still have to prove that ##e^x\neq 0## for all x. But this is easy. Suppose that it's not true. Let y be a real number such that ##e^y=0##. Let x be an arbitrary real number.
    $$0=e^{x-y}0=e^{x-y}e^y=e^{x-y+y}=e^x.$$ Since x is arbitrary, this contradicts that ##e^0\geq 1##.

When I said that this is "much" easier, I didn't realize that we still had to prove that ##e^x\neq 0## after the first step.

11. Feb 16, 2013 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, f(0)=0 also satisfies f(a+b)=f(a)f(b). You need some other input. f(0) not equal to 0 would have been adequate. They gave you more than you really needed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook