Calculating Propagation Velocity with MATLAB

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help in finding the velocity of a traveling wave that they have plotted using MATLAB. They are unsure where to start and are looking for hints and suggestions from others. Some suggested methods include tracing the movement of a peak in the wave, using mathematical equations for different types of waves, or using MATLAB coding to find the time it takes for the next wave to appear. The person is specifically looking for the speed at which a tumor is propagating along the x-axis and is requesting help from the community.
maths08
heys,

sorry I didn't know where to post this hopefully I will get some responses.

well, I had a set of differential equations which I solved using MATLAB and got plots as traveling waves(t=1 to 10). basically, I need to find the velocity at which the wave is propagating and I have no idea where to start.

any hints will be much appreciated.

cheers
John

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have individual plots of this wave as functions of position at different snapshots in time, can't you trace out how far a spot in the wave (say a peak) moves in these time intervals?

P.S. welcome to the forums :smile:.

Heys all,

Thanks for the reply.. I have no knowledge of physics, however I looked at some notes for waves propagation and it gives it as c=w/k.

In my plots, I have the spatial axis and the wave is propagating from left to right. How do I find the propagation velocity? I will post the plot if it helps.

Any hint is really appreciated!

Many thanks
John

hey,

you can try to find this velocity mathemathically, what kind of wave is it? electromagnetic wave, wave propagating on a string,...?

if this is a wave on a string, the speed is given by [tex]v=\sqrt{\frac{F}{\mu}}\quad \text{where}\quad \mu = \text{lineic mass of the string and}\quad F = \text{Restoring force applied to the string}[/tex]

if the wave is an electromagnetic wave, [tex]v=\lambda f[/tex], and if the wave is a sound wave, [tex]v=\sqrt{\frac{B}{\rho_0}}, \text{where}\quad B=p_0 \gamma = p_0 . 1.4 \quad\text{(for an idealised gas), where} \quad p_0 \quad \text{is the presure of air}\quad \text{and where}\quad \rho_0\quad \text{is the volumic mass of the air}[/tex]

You can also try to find the propagating speed using matlab, you know that [tex]v=\frac{d}{t}[/tex], you can find the speed by this way.

cheers for the replies.

It is the speed at which the tumour is propagating along the x-axis. so, what formula should I use?

please someone out there help!

I have a computer simulation (using MATLAB) of traveling waves and I need to find the speed of propagation.

does anyone know the code in MATLAB to find how long does it take for the next wave to appear so that I can use c=x/t??

please help me

many thanks

1. How do I calculate propagation velocity using MATLAB?

To calculate propagation velocity using MATLAB, you will need to have the distance and time data for the wave propagation. Once you have these values, you can use the formula v = d/t, where v is the propagation velocity, d is the distance, and t is the time. You can then use the built-in functions in MATLAB, such as 'mean' and 'sqrt', to calculate the propagation velocity.

2. Can I use MATLAB to calculate the propagation velocity for different mediums?

Yes, you can use MATLAB to calculate the propagation velocity for different mediums. You will need to have the appropriate data and equations for the specific medium you are studying. You can also use MATLAB's built-in functions to perform calculations on the data and equations.

3. How accurate is the propagation velocity calculation in MATLAB?

The accuracy of the propagation velocity calculation in MATLAB depends on the accuracy of the data and equations used. If the data and equations are accurate, then the calculated propagation velocity will also be accurate. It is always recommended to double-check the data and equations before performing any calculations in MATLAB.

4. Can I plot the propagation velocity using MATLAB?

Yes, you can plot the propagation velocity using MATLAB. After calculating the propagation velocity, you can use the 'plot' function in MATLAB to create a graph of the data. This can help you visualize the relationship between the distance and time for the wave propagation and the calculated propagation velocity.

5. Is there a specific MATLAB function for calculating propagation velocity?

No, there is no specific MATLAB function for calculating propagation velocity. However, there are built-in functions that can help you perform the necessary calculations, such as 'mean' and 'sqrt'. You can also create your own custom function in MATLAB to calculate propagation velocity if needed.