1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proper form for geometric series with a neg inside

1. Nov 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Curious about this ...I have to find the sum.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Ʃ (1/4)(-1/3)^n from 1 to infinity

I want to know the proper form and why. Is it (1/4) Ʃ (-1/3)(1/3)^n-1 or (1/4) Ʃ (1/3)(-1/3)^(n-1)

You get different answers

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What's the point of bringing out a factor of 1/3? You did the same thing in your other thread.

In the above, your first formula is incorrect. (-1/3)(1/3)n-1 = (-1/3)[1 + 1/3 + 1/9 + ...

For a geometric series such as ##\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}r^n##, if |r| < 1, the series converges to r/(1 - r).

Here's a simplistic explanation:
    Let S = r + r2 + ... + rn + ...
    Then -rS = -r2 - r3 - ... - rn + 1 - ...

Then S - rS = r, or S(1 - r) = r, so S = r/(1 - r)

4. Nov 19, 2013 #3
    I'm not sure we take out the factor in class because that is how it is written in general in the book formula.

I thought the sum of a geometric series was S = A / (1 -r) where A is the coefficient in front r. Not r/ (1-r)

5. Nov 19, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Go back and read it again. The exact formula to use depends on whether you have the sum ##\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} A r^n## or ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} A r^n##. Do you notice the difference?

6. Nov 19, 2013 #5
    Yeah n = 0 or n = 1. Your first one is OK your second one isn't it needs to be n-1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted