Proper form for geometric series with a neg inside

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the sum of the geometric series Ʃ (1/4)(-1/3)^n from 1 to infinity and determining the proper form and why. The correct formula for a geometric series with the first term being negative was discussed and it was concluded that the formula is S = r/(1 - r). However, the confusion arose when discussing whether the factor of 1/3 should be taken out in the formula, with one person stating that it should be removed and another stating that it is not necessary. The correct formula for determining the sum of a geometric series depends on whether the first term is included in the series or not. Overall, the main point of
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

Curious about this ...I have to find the sum.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ʃ (1/4)(-1/3)^n from 1 to infinity

I want to know the proper form and why. Is it (1/4) Ʃ (-1/3)(1/3)^n-1 or (1/4) Ʃ (1/3)(-1/3)^(n-1)

You get different answers

Physics news on Phys.org
Jbreezy said:

Homework Statement

Curious about this ...I have to find the sum.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ʃ (1/4)(-1/3)^n from 1 to infinity

I want to know the proper form and why. Is it (1/4) Ʃ (-1/3)(1/3)^n-1 or (1/4) Ʃ (1/3)(-1/3)^(n-1)

You get different answers

What's the point of bringing out a factor of 1/3? You did the same thing in your other thread.

In the above, your first formula is incorrect. (-1/3)(1/3)n-1 = (-1/3)[1 + 1/3 + 1/9 + ...

For a geometric series such as ##\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}r^n##, if |r| < 1, the series converges to r/(1 - r).

Here's a simplistic explanation:
Let S = r + r2 + ... + rn + ...
Then -rS = -r2 - r3 - ... - rn + 1 - ...

Then S - rS = r, or S(1 - r) = r, so S = r/(1 - r)

I'm not sure we take out the factor in class because that is how it is written in general in the book formula.

I thought the sum of a geometric series was S = A / (1 -r) where A is the coefficient in front r. Not r/ (1-r)

Jbreezy said:
I'm not sure we take out the factor in class because that is how it is written in general in the book formula.

I thought the sum of a geometric series was S = A / (1 -r) where A is the coefficient in front r. Not r/ (1-r)

Go back and read it again. The exact formula to use depends on whether you have the sum ##\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} A r^n## or ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} A r^n##. Do you notice the difference?

Yeah n = 0 or n = 1. Your first one is OK your second one isn't it needs to be n-1

1. What is a geometric series with a negative inside?

A geometric series with a negative inside refers to a series where the common ratio between each term is a negative number, resulting in alternating positive and negative terms.

2. How do I determine the proper form for a geometric series with a negative inside?

The proper form for a geometric series with a negative inside is a1(-r)n-1, where a1 is the first term and r is the common ratio. This form can also be written as a1(-1)n-1rn-1.

3. Can a geometric series with a negative inside have a negative first term?

Yes, a geometric series with a negative inside can have a negative first term. This is because the terms in a geometric series alternate between positive and negative, so the first term can be either positive or negative.

4. What is the formula for finding the sum of a geometric series with a negative inside?

The formula for finding the sum of a geometric series with a negative inside is Sn = a1(-1n)/(-1-r), where Sn is the sum of the first n terms, a1 is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

5. Are there any special rules for working with geometric series with a negative inside?

Yes, there are a few special rules to keep in mind when working with geometric series with a negative inside. One is that the sum of a finite geometric series with a negative inside will always be a rational number. Also, the sum will be positive if the number of terms is even and negative if the number of terms is odd.