Properties of Asymptotic functions

In summary, the conversation is focused on exploring the implications of asymptotic functions, specifically in the context of whether h(x)~g(x) implies that h(x+1)~g(x) and if h(x)h(x+1)~g(x)g(x+1). The conversation also touches on the prime counting function and its relation to these implications. The participants consider the possibility of failure occurring if the functions grow fast enough or exhibit strange behavior, such as zig-zagging. They also discuss the potential easier approach of determining if pi(x) ~ pi(x+1) or (x-1)/ln(x-1) ~ x/lnx before determining the implications for pi(x+1).
keebs
I have a few questions about asymptotic functions, and was wondering if anyone could help...

If h(x)~g(x), is h(x+1)~g(x)?
And, if h(x)~g(x), is h(x)h(x+1)~g(x)g(x+1)?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Think about [itex]e^{(x+1)}=e \cdot e^x[/itex]; look at the definitions.

Ahhh, ok. Thank you.

Last edited:
If h(x)~g(x), is h(x+1)~g(x)?

I'm not sure that implication holds in general... I can imagine failure can occur if the functions grow sufficiently fast, or if they can do other odd things, like zig-zag back and forth.

I'm not sure that implication holds in general... I can imagine failure can occur if the functions grow sufficiently fast, or if they can do other odd things, like zig-zag back and forth.

What about with the prime counting function? Is pi(x+1)~x/lnx?

I think it might be easier to first decide if pi(x) ~ pi(x + 1), or if (x - 1) / ln (x - 1) ~ x / ln x

I think it might be easier to first decide if pi(x) ~ pi(x + 1), or if (x - 1) / ln (x - 1) ~ x / ln x

Ah, ok. Because if either one of those is true then it implies that pi(x+1)~x/lnx.

1. What is an asymptotic function?

An asymptotic function is a mathematical function that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value, typically infinity or zero. It is used to analyze the long-term behavior of functions and can help determine the growth rate or decay rate of a function.

2. How do asymptotic functions differ from regular functions?

Asymptotic functions are different from regular functions in that they do not necessarily describe the exact behavior of a function, but rather its long-term behavior. Regular functions provide specific values for a given input, while asymptotic functions provide a general trend or approximation for a large range of inputs.

3. What are the main properties of asymptotic functions?

The main properties of asymptotic functions include the limit behavior, rate of growth or decay, and big-O notation. These properties can be used to classify and compare different functions based on their long-term behavior.

4. How are asymptotic functions used in real-world applications?

Asymptotic functions are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They can be used to model physical phenomena, analyze the efficiency of algorithms, and predict the behavior of complex systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using asymptotic functions?

While asymptotic functions can provide useful insights into the behavior of functions, they are not always accurate for small or medium-sized inputs. Additionally, they may not accurately capture the behavior of functions with oscillating or discontinuous behavior.