Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Properties of Inverse Matrices

1. May 11, 2008 #1
    Determine which of the formulas hold for all invertible nxn matrices A and B

A. AB=BA
    B. (A+A^–1)^8=A^8+A^–8
    C. A^5 is invertible
    D. A+A^–1 is invertible
    E. (In+A)(In+A^–1)=2In+A+A^–1 (where In is the identity matrix)
    F. (A+B)^2=A^2+B^2+2AB

I was able to find counterexamples to prove A and B and F incorrect. However, the webwork program (designed for practicing basic Linear Algebra) I am using states that C, D, and E are not all correct ... what am I missing?

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2008 #2
    The ones that are false all have trivial counterexamples. What have you tried so far?

4. May 11, 2008 #3
    Hi, I'm a little rusty on Linear Algebra, so forgive my ignorance on some of the approaches. Can you elaborate by what you mean by "trivial"?

I tried random matrices (often with easy numbers, such as the identity matrix) for A, B, C, D, E, and F, but only found counterexamples for A, B, and F (but knowing for a fact that C, D, and E are not all correct).

By one of the simple properties of inverse matrices, I am almost certain that C is correct.

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  5. May 12, 2008 #4
    C is true, since otherwise A^(-1) is not invertible in the first place, with [itex]A^{-5}=A^{-1}......A^{-1}[/itex] hence if the determinant is zero then one of them has also a zero determinant.

D holds only for reals and from the positive eigenvalues of A^(2) .[itex]trace(A^2)>0, \det(A^2)>0[/itex]
    [tex]
    (A+A^{-1})= (I+A^{2})A^{-1} = (A(I+A^{2})^{-1})^{-1}
    [/tex]

E follows from the distribution property,

I think I have to sleep so what is the the counterexample for F?

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  6. May 12, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Any two matrices that do not commute will give an counterexample to F.

7. May 12, 2008 #6
    Haha, Of course! That was lame, sorry!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?