Properties of roots of polynomials

In summary, the conversation discusses doubts from chapter 1 of the book Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering. The first screenshot asks about the three values of f(x) being equal, and the second screenshot asks about deriving properties 1.12, 1.13, and 1.14 from the equations of f(x). The conversation also mentions using property 1.14 and evaluates a double summation. The summary then goes on to explain how the formulas are derived and clarifies the concept of roots and their occurrences. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that the explanations provided were helpful in understanding the identities.
Rishabh Narula
i have some doubts from chapter 1 of the book Mathematical methods for physics and engineering.
i have attached 2 screenshots to exactly point my doubts.
in the first screenshot...could you tell me why exactly the 3 values of f(x) are equal.
the first is the very definition of polynomials...but why is f(x) also equal to product of those factors(i.e the other two equations of f(x))?
And in the second screenshot...how exactly are properties 1.12,1.13,1.14 derived from those 3 equations of f(x)?
Also how do you use property 1.14...how do you evaluate that double summation?

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 247
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The book is a bit sloppy as it doesn't explain the roots very well, at least on what you copied. I assume it is done beforehand.

We start with ##f(x)=a_nx^n+a_{n-1}x^{n-1}+\ldots +a_1x+a_0##.
##f(x)## has at most ##n## zeros ##\alpha_1,\ldots ,\alpha_n##, that is ##f(\alpha_i)=0##.

Now by the Euclidean algorithm (division with remainder) we can see that ##(x-\alpha_i)## divides ##f(x)##.
If we then multiply all terms ##(x-\alpha_i)## we get a polynomial of degree ##n## which divides ##f(x)##.
Because they have the same degree, they can only differ by a constant factor. This factor has to be ##a_n##, because we have
\begin{align*}
f(x)&=a_nx^n+a_{n-1}x^{n-1}+\ldots +a_1x+a_0\\ &=a_n\cdot \left( x^n+\dfrac{a_{n-1}}{a_n}x^{n-1}+\ldots +\dfrac{a_1}{a_n}x+\dfrac{a_0}{a_n} \right) \\ &= a_n \cdot (x-\alpha_1)\cdot \ldots \cdot (x-\alpha_n)
\end{align*}
Formula ##(1.12)## is what we get by comparison of the coefficients at the term ##x^0=1##, i.e. the absolute term of the two polynomial expressions after we multiplied it out.
Formula ##(1.13)## is what we get by comparison of the coefficients at the term ##x^{n-1}##, i.e. the second term of the two polynomial expressions after we multiplied it out.
Formula ##(1.14)## is what we get by comparison of the coefficients at the term ##x^{n-2}##, i.e. the third term of the two polynomial expressions after we multiplied it out.

What might be a bit confusing is the second line of our polynomial expressions. It reads
$$
f(x) = a_n\cdot (x-\alpha_1)^{m_1} \cdot \ldots \cdot (x-\alpha_r)^{m_r}
$$
This is because until now we haven't considered, that some of the ##\alpha_i## might occur multiple times. So as sets we have ##\{\,\alpha_1,\ldots,\alpha_n\,\}=\{\,\alpha_1,\ldots,\alpha_r\,\}##, that is we have only ##r## distinct roots. Each of the ##\alpha_i## occurs ##m_i## times. So the second row in your copy is simply achieved by gathering all identical ##\alpha_i##. At the end we get ##n=m_1+\ldots +m_r## and the ##\{\,\alpha_1,\ldots,\alpha_r\,\}## are pairwise distinct, whereas the ##\{\,\alpha_1,\ldots,\alpha_n\,\}## are not.

fresh_42 said:
The book is a bit sloppy as it doesn't explain the roots very well, at least on what you copied. I assume it is done beforehand.

We start with ##f(x)=a_nx^n+a_{n-1}x^{n-1}+\ldots +a_1x+a_0##.
##f(x)## has at most ##n## zeros ##\alpha_1,\ldots ,\alpha_n##, that is ##f(\alpha_i)=0##.

Now by the Euclidean algorithm (division with remainder) we can see that ##(x-\alpha_i)## divides ##f(x)##.
If we then multiply all terms ##(x-\alpha_i)## we get a polynomial of degree ##n## which divides ##f(x)##.
Because they have the same degree, they can only differ by a constant factor. This factor has to be ##a_n##, because we have
\begin{align*}
f(x)&=a_nx^n+a_{n-1}x^{n-1}+\ldots +a_1x+a_0\\ &=a_n\cdot \left( x^n+\dfrac{a_{n-1}}{a_n}x^{n-1}+\ldots +\dfrac{a_1}{a_n}x+\dfrac{a_0}{a_n} \right) \\ &= a_n \cdot (x-\alpha_1)\cdot \ldots \cdot (x-\alpha_n)
\end{align*}
Formula ##(1.12)## is what we get by comparison of the coefficients at the term ##x^0=1##, i.e. the absolute term of the two polynomial expressions after we multiplied it out.
Formula ##(1.13)## is what we get by comparison of the coefficients at the term ##x^{n-1}##, i.e. the second term of the two polynomial expressions after we multiplied it out.
Formula ##(1.14)## is what we get by comparison of the coefficients at the term ##x^{n-2}##, i.e. the third term of the two polynomial expressions after we multiplied it out.

What might be a bit confusing is the second line of our polynomial expressions. It reads
$$
f(x) = a_n\cdot (x-\alpha_1)^{m_1} \cdot \ldots \cdot (x-\alpha_r)^{m_r}
$$
This is because until now we haven't considered, that some of the ##\alpha_i## might occur multiple times. So as sets we have ##\{\,\alpha_1,\ldots,\alpha_n\,\}=\{\,\alpha_1,\ldots,\alpha_r\,\}##, that is we have only ##r## distinct roots. Each of the ##\alpha_i## occurs ##m_i## times. So the second row in your copy is simply achieved by gathering all identical ##\alpha_i##. At the end we get ##n=m_1+\ldots +m_r## and the ##\{\,\alpha_1,\ldots,\alpha_r\,\}## are pairwise distinct, whereas the ##\{\,\alpha_1,\ldots,\alpha_n\,\}## are not.
okay.thanks.i also tried expanding the formulas for n=2 and 3 and on comparing could see why the identities are true..thanks for explaing though.helpful.

1. What are the properties of the roots of a polynomial?

The properties of the roots of a polynomial include the number of roots, their location on the complex plane, and their relationship to the coefficients of the polynomial. Additionally, the roots can be real or complex, and they can have different multiplicities.

2. How can I determine the number of roots of a polynomial?

The number of roots of a polynomial can be determined by its degree, which is the highest exponent of the variable in the polynomial. For example, a polynomial of degree 3 can have up to 3 roots.

3. What is the relationship between the roots of a polynomial and its coefficients?

The relationship between the roots of a polynomial and its coefficients is given by Vieta's formulas. These formulas state that the sum of the roots is equal to the negative ratio of the second-to-last coefficient and the leading coefficient, and the product of the roots is equal to the constant term divided by the leading coefficient.

4. How can I find the roots of a polynomial algebraically?

The roots of a polynomial can be found algebraically by using techniques such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or the rational root theorem. These methods involve manipulating the polynomial to isolate the roots and solve for them.

5. What is the significance of the roots of a polynomial in real-world applications?

The roots of a polynomial have various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. For example, in engineering, the roots of a polynomial can represent the natural frequencies of a system, and in economics, they can represent the break-even points of a business model.