Properties of Summations and Integrals question

In summary, the first statement is false in general as shown by the counterexample provided. The second statement implies that the infinite sums of f(x) and g(x) are asymptotically equivalent. However, this does not necessarily mean that f(x) and g(x) are equal, as shown by the counterexample.
Newbie234
Let's say we have the statement [itex]\sum^{\infty}_{0}f(x)=\frac{\sum^{\infty}_{0}g(x)}{\sum^{\infty}_{0}h(x)}[/itex] does this imply that
[itex]\int^{\infty}_{0}f(x)=\frac{\int^{\infty}_{0}g(x)}{\int^{\infty}_{0}h(x)}[/itex]?

Also if [itex]\sum^{\infty}_{0}f(x)=\sum^{\infty}_{0}g(x)[/itex] does this imply that [itex]f(x)=g(x)[/itex], or just that f(x)~g(x) (asymptotically equivalent)?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your first statement makes no sense, what are you summing over?

hunt_mat said:
Your first statement makes no sense, what are you summing over?

Sorry, thought it was pretty obvious, but I guess not. I didn't think it was necessary to add dx to the integrals or add that summation was over x as it was implied, and I didn't want to typeset anymore than I had to because it is new to me.

Newbie234 said:
Sorry, thought it was pretty obvious, but I guess not. I didn't think it was necessary to add dx to the integrals or add that summation was over x as it was implied, and I didn't want to typeset anymore than I had to because it is new to me.

Are you summing over all the integers x, or are you summing over all the reals x? If you assume the latter, it doesn't make much sense. If you're meaning the former, then consider a function like

[tex]g(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{c}1/x^2~\text{if x is an integer}\\ 0~\text{otherwise}\end{array}\right.[/tex]

that should be the basis of a counterexample for both statements.

micromass said:
Are you summing over all the integers x, or are you summing over all the reals x? If you assume the latter, it doesn't make much sense. If you're meaning the former, then consider a function like

[tex]g(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{c}1/x^2~\text{if x is an integer}\\ 0~\text{otherwise}\end{array}\right.[/tex]

that should be the basis of a counterexample for both statements.

Summing over integers. Also, are these statements true for continuous functions that aren't piecewise?

Newbie234 said:
Summing over integers. Also, are these statements true for continuous functions that aren't piecewise?

I don't think so. Similar counterexamples hold. Try to find a continuous version of my counterexample!

The first statement is false. But I am correct in assuming that the second statement implies that the infinite sums of f(x) and g(x) are asymptotically equivalent (that is, [itex]lim_{n->\infty}\frac{\sum^{n}_{x=0}f(x)}{\sum^{n}_{x=0}g(x)}=1[/itex]).

Last edited:

What is the difference between a summation and an integral?

A summation is an arithmetic operation where a series of numbers are added together, while an integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph.

What is the purpose of using summations and integrals in scientific research?

Summations and integrals are used to model and analyze real-world situations in a precise and mathematical way. They allow scientists to make predictions, solve problems, and understand the behavior of complex systems.

How is the concept of convergence related to summations and integrals?

Convergence refers to the idea that a series or integral approaches a definite value as the number of terms or the size of the interval approaches infinity. Summations and integrals are used to determine whether a series or integral converges or diverges.

Can summations and integrals be used to calculate exact values?

Yes, summations and integrals can be used to calculate exact values if the series or integral is finite and can be evaluated algebraically. However, in many cases, they are used to approximate values due to the complexity of the problem.

What are some real-world applications of summations and integrals?

Summations and integrals have countless applications in different fields of science, including physics, chemistry, economics, and engineering. They are used to model and analyze systems such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.