Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Properties of water under high pressure as a function of Temperature

1. Jul 1, 2010 #1
    Hey,
    I'm trying to find equations which describe properties of water under high pressure as a function of temperature. The equations are in polynomial form. i am trying to find a better approximation for the material properties of water(density,thermal conductivity, etc...), as the programs description is quite limited. (The program is COMSOL Multiphysics 3.5). Any help or resources you could suggest on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2010 #2
    You do not fully list the properties to be considered.

Water has anomalous properties so any serious application will not rely on equations but tables of measurements.

Such tables are freely availbale and are usually called International Steam Tables or similar. Although they are called steam they include properties where the fluid is all liquid at elevated temperature because of the pressure.

4. Jul 1, 2010 #3
    Thank you very much for your reply. I'm new to the forum, so Apologies for the lack of information. The properties I am most interested in are:
    • Density,
    • Thermal conductivity,
    • Dynamic viscosity,
    • Heat capacity at constant pressure.
    The pressure is 130bar. The temperature ranges from 30°C to approx 300°C.

When you say anomalous, that means that water cannot be accurately described by equations?

So I would have to find properties for a range of temperatures and load its properties this way?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook