Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prospects of Chemical Engineering

1. Mar 23, 2006 #1

I've recently applied for Chemical engineering at UMIST (Or Manchester university) to, in my mind at the moment, research properties of materials relating to its physical properties, and conductivity.

So I would like to ask: What are the current main 'outstanding' problems in materials reasearch? Any information would be grateful.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

UMIST .... perhaps at some point you'll get to know Prof. Andy Sherry, an old acquintance who left there to run the Materials Performance Centre (I think that's what it's called....). Great place anyways.

I think answering your question is really difficult, but if I write something to get started perhaps others will run to make better replies :biggrin: .

The simple answer would be 'everything' of course, but to point out something 'close to home', I'd say computational multiscale work for material properties is a successful field which is likely going to gain more and more importance as its successes continue pile up (like [computational] quantum chemistry). Special fields like biomaterials, nanomaterials, smart materials, polymers & composites (in general let alone the exotic appls) will probably enjoy continued interest as 'specific' areas of research (+new interesting alloys & materials seem to surface at a consistent pace). Many (or really "all") fields under corrosion & environmental behavior, high temperature behavior, damage & failure etc. etc. of materials don't really seem to be showing symptoms of slowing down .... requirements for materials advance and in the process enable "weird" applications with harsh demands for ever better properties. Any way to narrow this a bit?
  4. Mar 25, 2006 #3

Staff: Mentor

I think PerennialII covered all the areas. Basically any area in materials is still hot with R&D. I'll look in some of my resources to find some specific areas.
  5. Mar 26, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can't answer the question, but...

You've made a cracking choice, especially since UMIST has now merged with The University of Manchester. The materials science centre there is amongst the top in the country, and while chem eng isn't part of that facility, they work so closely together that they it may as well be.

You'll come across Tracy North too at some point (you probably already have), get to know her, she's an extremely useful member of admin staff to know!
  6. Apr 20, 2006 #5
    Why not just study materials science/engineering instead of chemical engineering ? Unless the curriculum has changed in 5 years chemical engineering was mostly designing distillation columns, chemical reactors, and heat exchangers.

Best Regards

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?