Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brittle to Ductile transition temperature of steel S450GD

1. Jan 11, 2019 at 5:18 AM #1
    Hi guys,

I'm having an issue at the minute with rolled coil steel, cracking and fracturing when being rolled into a profile. The material certs are within ISO specification, i.e. chemical composition analysis and the mechanical properties etc.

The carbon equivalent may be a little high, but still be in specification. As the temperature of the steel being rolled is somewhere around 2-4 Degrees C, It may be closer to the brittle zone. Steel grade S450GD

Can anyone provide any further information on this? It's a phenomena I know little about, and unable to find any resources on the internet. A book, or study conducted would be a good pointer.

Many thanks,

Connor

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2019 at 8:09 AM #2
  4. Jan 11, 2019 at 6:40 PM #3

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2018 Award

hope this helps. I'm no NDTT expert, just am aware from my reactor days that it is a property of steel.

i gather there's a "sub-grade" that defines the temperature at which 'toughness' is measured ?

clicking this link
    upload_2019-1-11_18-32-54.png
    at https://www.steelconstruction.info/Steel_material_properties#Toughness
    installed a pdf file that looks informative
    it has a tutorial on brittle fracture.

two snips:

upload_2019-1-11_18-37-16.png

========================

upload_2019-1-11_18-35-32.png

do your procurement documents include a sub-grade ?

old jim

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 6:48 PM
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?