Proton transport problem using MCNP

In summary, it seems like you are losing a lot of protons in your simulation. This might be due to something wrong with your physics simulation, or your simulation settings. You might want to check out some tutorials on how to setup and configure a physics simulation.
Antonio_A
Hello everyone !

I wanted to ask you if anyone ever encountered problems with proton transport using MCNP. In particular, the production of electrons when protons interact with matter. I have been trying to figure it out modifying the different physics cards (phys, lca, ...) with no result. Since a proton is a charged particle, ionization is expected and not even a single secondary particle is created while, in the output file most (if not all) of the incident protons are lost by energy cutoff meaning that they lose energy.
If anyone with experience in proton transport could enlighten me or give me some clues, it would be great.

Thanks,
Antonio

Likes evjanuclear
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks for the thread! What version of MCNP is one using, MCNPX or MCNP6?

Last edited by a moderator:
From - https://mcnp.lanl.gov/pdf_files/la-ur-13-22934.pdf
it states, "Transport with elastic and inelastic nuclear scattering, Continuous slowing down approximation, energy and angle straggling, magnetic field effects"

There may be some insight in this thesis - Using MCNPX to Calculate Primary and Secondary Dose in Proton Therapy
https://smartech.gatech.edu/bitstream/handle/1853/39499/ryckman_jeffrey_m_201105_mast.pdf

One could search on "MCNP proton slowing down" or "continuous slowing down approximation" with or without MCNP

I have a colleague who has used MCNPX and MCNP6 to simulate the effects of proton beam on targets.

Likes evjanuclear
Thanks for your replies

Greg Bernhardt said:
What version of MCNP is one using, MCNPX or MCNP6?

MCNP 6

Astronuc said:
There may be some insight in this thesis

I already have looked into it, it describes well how to setup the physics transport of protons in the input file but it treats a completely different case and it is useless in my situation as i described the most complete case for protons.I have found PIXE (particle-induced x-ray emission) cross-section libraries. This is not a PIXE problem but since it treats the ionization as main process and it is also what i am interested in, i taught that i might as well have a look at it. Now, i don't know how to make these libraries work with mcnp and if anyone (you know) has already tried this, i would love to know how you did it.

Thanks,
Antonio

Likes evjanuclear
I finally have an answer. For those wondering, MCNP6.1 is not able to compute this kind of cases. Delta-ray production from charged particles is implemented in MCNP6.2 which will be available by the end of this month.

Topic can be closed.

Likes evjanuclear
Hi, I have a similar problem.I'm simulating in MCNP6 the reaction of proton beam on targets but in the simulation the 96% of the proton are lost for energy cutoff.
I don't understand why happen that. I use a tally4 to obtain the reaction in the target, but I suppose the results are wrong because the lost of protons (if they are lost they can´t interact isn´t it?)

Any idea?

Thanks,
Eva

1. What is the MCNP code used for?

The Monte Carlo N-Particle (MCNP) code is a computer program used for simulating the transport of particles through materials. It is widely used in the field of nuclear engineering and physics to model the behavior of neutrons, photons, and electrons in various materials and geometries.

2. What is the proton transport problem?

The proton transport problem refers to the challenge of accurately simulating the behavior of protons as they travel through different materials. This problem is of particular interest in the field of proton therapy, where precise knowledge of proton transport is crucial for effective cancer treatment.

3. How does MCNP handle proton transport?

MCNP uses the Monte Carlo method to simulate the transport of protons. This involves randomly selecting interactions with materials based on probability distributions and tracking each proton's path through the material. By repeating this process for a large number of protons, MCNP can accurately model the average behavior of protons in a given material.

4. What are some challenges in simulating proton transport using MCNP?

One of the main challenges in simulating proton transport using MCNP is accurately modeling the complex interactions between protons and materials. This includes nuclear reactions, energy loss, and multiple scattering. Another challenge is the computational time required to simulate a large number of protons, which can limit the size and complexity of the simulation.

5. How can the accuracy of MCNP simulations of proton transport be improved?

The accuracy of MCNP simulations can be improved by using more detailed and accurate nuclear data libraries, as well as incorporating advanced physics models and algorithms. Additionally, refining the mesh size and using more computational resources can also improve the accuracy of the simulation. Validating the simulation results with experimental data is also important for improving the accuracy of MCNP simulations of proton transport.