1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove by Contradiction: For all integers x greater than 11

1. Aug 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove by Contradiction: For all integers x greater than 11, x equals the sum of two composite numbers.

2. Relevant equations
    A composite number is any number that isn't prime
    To prove by contradiction implies that if you use a statement's as a negation, a contradiction arises

3. The attempt at a solution
    The negation of the original statement is:
    There exists an integer x such that if x > 11, then x does not equal the sum of two composite numbers.

I'm really stuck on this one, I tried substituting in values using the quotient remainder theorem (a number can be represented as 2r, or 2r + 1.. or alternatively 3r, 3r + 1, or 3x + 2, but I wasn't getting anywhere with it). Some direction would be appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Given that x is not the sum of two composite numbers, what can you say about things like

x-4
    x-6
    x-8
    x-9

4. Aug 7, 2012 #3
    All even numbers are composite (besides 2!), and since 4 is composite as well, any even number greater than 4 can be written as the sum of two composite numbers. This leaves only odd ones left.

Can you apply a similar logic for odd numbers?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook