• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Prove cl(int(cl(int(A))))=cl(int(A))

• Thread starter ArcanaNoir
  • Start date

Homework Statement

I am working on the proof that taking closure and interior of a set in a metric space can produce at most 7 sets. The piece I need is that [itex] \bar{\mathring{A}} = \bar{\mathring{\bar{\mathring{A}}}} [/itex].

Homework Equations

Interior of A is the union of all open sets contained in A, aka the largest open set contained in A.
Closure of A is the intersection of all closed sets containing A, aka the smallest closed set containing A.

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] \bar{\mathring{A}}[/itex] is a closed set. [itex]\mathring{\bar{\mathring{A}}}\subseteq \bar{\mathring{A}}[/itex]. Since [itex]\bar{\mathring{\bar{\mathring{A}}}} [/itex] is the smallest closed set containing [itex] \mathring{\bar{\mathring{A}}} [/itex] we have that [itex]\bar{\mathring{\bar{\mathring{A}}}}\subseteq \bar{\mathring{A}}[/itex].

I'm not sure how to get the inclusion [itex] \bar{\mathring{A}}\subseteq \bar{\mathring{\bar{\mathring{A}}}} [/itex]

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
int(A) is an open set contained in cl(int(A)). What does this tell you about its relation to int(cl(int(A)))?

Last edited:
int(A) is an open set contained in cl(int(A)). What does this tell you about it's relation to int(cl(int(A)))?
[itex] \mathring{A}\subseteq \mathring{\bar{\mathring{A}}} [/itex]

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
[itex] \mathring{A}\subseteq \mathring{\bar{\mathring{A}}} [/itex]
Ok, so it's pretty easy to finish from there, right?

Likes 1 person
oh! Thank you :)