1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove infinitude of primes of form 4k+1 using properties of Legendre symbol (-1/p)

1. Nov 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that there are infinitely many primes [itex]4k+1[/itex] using the properties of [itex]\left(\frac{-1}{p}\right)[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\left(\frac{-1}{p}\right) = \begin{cases}
    1, & \text{if }p\equiv 1\ (mod\ 4), \\
    -1, & \text{if }p\equiv 3\ (mod\ 4).
    \end{cases} [/itex]

[itex]\left(\frac{ab}{p}\right) = \left(\frac{a}{p}\right)\left(\frac{b}{p}\right)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Similar to other proofs involving the infinitude of the primes, I assumed that there were only a finite number of primes of the form 4k+1, specifically [itex]p_1, p_2, ..., p_k[/itex]. I then formed the number [itex](p_{1}p_{2}...p_{k})^{2} + 1[/itex]. This number is not divisible by any [itex]p_{i}, 1 \leq i \leq k[/itex], for otherwise we would have [itex]p_{i}|1[/itex]. Now, this number has a prime factorization by the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic as [itex](p_{1}p_{2}...p_{k})^{2} + 1 = q_{1}q_{2}...q_{r}[/itex]. From this point on, I'm not sure where to go. Clearly, I need to incorporate the Legendre symbol, but I can't see where to apply its properties to arrive at a contradiction.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted