Prove Integrability of a Discontinuous Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof and evaluation of the integrability of a function f(x) on the interval [0,1]. The method used is Riemann Integrability and the solution is based on the theorem that a bounded function is integrable on [a,b] if and only if the upper sum and lower sum can be made arbitrarily close. The summary then presents a solution that involves selecting a value of M based on epsilon and creating a partition over [0,1] to show that the upper sum can be made less than epsilon, thus proving the integrability of f(x).
Lazerlike42

Homework Statement

Let f(x)= { 1 if x=[tex]\frac{1}{n}[/tex] for some n[tex]\in[/tex] the natural numbers,
or 0 otherwise}

Prove f is integrable on [0,1], and evaluate the integral.

Homework Equations

This is using Riemann Integrability. I know that the method of providing the solution is supposed to be by application of the following theorem:

"A bounded function f is integrable on [a,b] if and only if [tex]\forall \epsilon > 0[/tex], there is a partition [tex]P_{\epsilon}[/tex] of [a,b] where U(f, [tex]P_{\epsilon}[/tex]) - L(f,[tex]P_{\epsilon} < \epsilon[/tex]"

U([tex]P_{\epsilon}[/tex]) and L([tex]P_{\epsilon}[/tex]) are of course the upper and lower sums.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that L([tex]P_{\epsilon}[/tex]) is 0 everywhere, because for any sub-interval no matter how small there is some value of x where x /= [tex]\frac{1}{n}[/tex]. I also know that the integral must equal 0, as the lower and upper sums must be equal in an integrable function.

What I am supposed to do is to find some partition of [a,b] where the upper sum is less than epsilon, but I can't figure out how to do that.

Given an epsilon, if I select some x0 where x0=[tex]\frac{1}{m}[/tex] for some m and x0 < [tex]\epsilon[/tex], then it follows that the upper sum over [0,x0] < [tex]\epsilon[/tex]. The issue is then the upper sum on [x0, 1].

I have also noticed this fact: Suppose my x0=[tex]\frac{1}{500}[/tex]. Then if I move up to [tex]\frac{2}{500}[/tex], that's actually [tex]\frac{1}{250}[/tex]. Similarly, [tex]\frac{4}{500}=\frac{1}{125}[/tex], [tex]\frac{5}{500}=\frac{1}{100}[/tex], and [tex]\frac{10}{500}={\frac{1}{50}[/tex]. That means that between [tex]\frac{2}{500}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{1}{50}[/tex], there are only 4 values equal to some [tex]\frac{1}{n}[/tex]. The upper sum over that would then be simply 4 * [tex]\frac{1}{500}[/tex]. Somewhere in all of that, I feel like there is a way to partition [x0, 1] so that it's less than a given epsilon, but I can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
For each integer M>0, pick an interval around each x=1/n of size 1/2^(n+M). You can do that, right? What happens as M->infinity?

Ok, here is the solution I came up with. Any comments are appreciated.

By the given theorem, a bounded function f is integrable on [a,b] if and only if [tex]\forall \epsilon > 0 \exists [/tex] some partition [tex]P_{\epsilon}[/tex] of [a,b] such that [tex]U(f,P_{\epsilon})-L(f,P_{\epsilon}) < \epsilon[/tex].

Clearly the function f(x) is bounded, having only two possible values: 0 and 1.

So Consider [tex]L(f,P_{\epsilon})[/tex] for an arbitrary partition. Because the irrationals are dense on [tex]\Re[/tex], for any sub-interval [tex][x_{k},x_{k-1}] \exists x_{0}[/tex] such that [tex]x_{0}\neq\frac{1}{n}[/tex] for any n[tex]\in[/tex] the naturals. Therefore, the [tex]L(f,P_{\epsilon})=0 \forall\epsilon[/tex]

Then by the theorem, f is integrable if [tex]\forall \epsilon >0 \exists [/tex] a partition [tex] P_{\epsilon}[/tex] such that [tex]U(f,P_{\epsilon}) < \epsilon [/tex]

Choose some [tex]x_{1}[/tex]such that [tex]x_{1}=\frac{1}{m}[/tex] for some [tex]m\in[/tex] the naturals and [tex]x_{1} < \frac{\epsilon}{2}[/tex]. We must produce a partition [tex]P_{\epsilon}[/tex] such that [tex]U(f,P_{\epsilon}) < \epsilon[/tex]. For now, consider [tex]P_{\epsilon}[/tex] only over the interval [0,x1], and define [tex]P_{\epsilon}=[/tex]{[tex]{0,x_{1}[/tex]}. On [0,x1], [tex]U(f,P_{\epsilon})=1(x_{1}-0)=x_{1}[/tex]

Now consider [x1,1]. In [x1,1] there are only m numbers of the form [tex]\frac{1}{n}[/tex] for some n: x1 (which is, as we chose it, [tex]\frac{1}{m}[/tex]), [tex]\frac{1}{m-1}[/tex], [tex]\frac{1}{m-2}[/tex]...1. Define [tex]P_{\epsilon}[/tex] over [x1,1] so as to satisfy the property that each number of the form [tex]\frac{1}{n}[/tex] (call them [tex]\frac{1}{n_{k}}[/tex]) is in a subinterval as follows:

[[tex]\frac{1}{n_{k}}-\frac{1}{2m^{2}}, \frac{1}{n_{k}}+\frac{1}{2m^{2}}[/tex]] (except for x1 and 1, the intervals for which need be defined only on the right and left sides, respectively). So for example, if x1=[tex]\frac{1}{5}[/tex], ensure that [tex]\frac{1}{4}[/tex] is in the sub-interval [0.23,0.27].

More specifically, [tex]P_{\epsilon}=[/tex]{[tex]0, x_{1}, \frac{1+m}{m^{2}}, \frac{1}{m-1}-\frac{1}{2m^{2}},\frac{1}{m-1}+\frac{1}{2m^{2}},\frac{1}{m-2}-\frac{1}{2m^{2}}...1-\frac{1}{2m^{2}},1[/tex]}

Then over [x1,1], [tex]U(f,P_{\epsilon})[/tex]=

[tex]1( \frac{1+m}{m^{2}}-\frac{1}{m})+0(\frac{1}{m-1}-\frac{1}{2m^{2}}-[ \frac{1+m}{m^{2}}])+1(\frac{1}{m-1}+\frac{1}{2m^{2}}-[\frac{1}{m-1}-\frac{1}{2m^{2}}])+0(\frac{1}{m-2}-\frac{1}{2m^{2}}-[\frac{1}{m-1}+\frac{1}{2m^{2}}]...+1(1-[1-\frac{1}{2,^{2}}])[/tex]

=[tex]\frac{1}{2m^{2}}+\frac{1}{m^{2}}+\frac{1}{m^{2}}+...+\frac{1}{2m^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]=(m-1)(\frac{1}{m^{2}})=\frac{1}{m}-\frac{1}{m^{2}} = x_{1}-\frac{1}{m^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]<x_{1}<\frac{\epsilon}{2}[/tex]

Also, over [0,x1], [tex]U(f,P_{\epsilon}) = x_{1} < \frac{\epsilon}{2}[/tex], as we saw above.

Then [tex]U(f,P_{\epsilon})[/tex] over [0,1]=[tex]U(f,P_{\epsilon})[/tex] over [0,x1]+[tex]U(f,P_{\epsilon})[/tex] over [x1,1]

[tex]<\frac{\epsilon}{2}+\frac{\epsilon}{2}[/tex]
[tex]<\epsilon[/tex]

Therefore, f is integrable over [0,1]

Dick, I saw your hint when I had just finished posting my solution. Thanks! It looks like I had the same general idea as you hinted at, but I'm not sure if what I did is precisely the same.

It's way simpler than you think, I think. Just pick a value of M based on epsilon. You don't need stuff like the density of irrationals. Sorry, but I can't read your post. Too tired.

Dick said:
It's way simpler than you think, I think. Just pick a value of M based on epsilon. You don't need stuff like the density of irrationals. Sorry, but I can't read your post. Too tired.

That's ok. I'm satisfied with what I've got so far... I see what you're saying. There are obviously a few ways to do it (I can think of a couple of others right now which involve approaching it from other angles, like countability), but the professor gave us a hint and I based my work off of that... I'm also too tired to bother thinking about whether your hint fits in with hers, but I'll take another look in the morning.

Fair enough. Like you, I can only read about 6 lines before I doze off.

1. What is integrability of a discontinuous function?

Integrability of a discontinuous function refers to the ability to calculate the definite integral of the function over a given interval. In other words, it is the measure of how well-behaved a function is in terms of its ability to be integrated.

2. Why is it important to prove integrability of a discontinuous function?

Proving integrability of a discontinuous function is important because it allows us to use techniques such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to evaluate the area under the curve and solve various real-world problems.

3. What are some common examples of discontinuous functions?

Some common examples of discontinuous functions include the step function, the absolute value function, and the Heaviside function. These functions have abrupt changes or "jumps" in their values at certain points, making them discontinuous.

4. How can we determine if a discontinuous function is integrable?

To determine if a discontinuous function is integrable, we can use the Riemann Integral, which involves dividing the interval into smaller subintervals and calculating the sum of the areas of rectangles under the curve. If this sum approaches a finite limit as the number of subintervals increases, then the function is considered integrable.

5. Can all discontinuous functions be proven to be integrable?

No, not all discontinuous functions can be proven to be integrable. There are certain types of discontinuous functions, such as those with infinite discontinuities or essential discontinuities, that cannot be integrated using traditional methods. These functions require more advanced techniques such as Lebesgue integration.