Prove $\lim_{n \to \infty} \sqrt[n]{a_1a_2...a_n} = L$ for Convergent ${a_n}$

In summary, the sequence of positive numbers ${a_n}$ converges to L and we need to prove that $\lim_{n \to \infty} \sqrt[n]{a_1a_2...a_n} = L$. Using logarithms and the fact that the logarithm function is strictly concave, we can write $w_n = \ln \sqrt[n]{a_1a_2...a_n} = \ln L + \frac{1}{n}\sum_{k=1}^{n}\ln a_k$. By the AM-GM inequality, this is less than or equal to $\ln L + \frac{1}{n}\sum_{k=1}^{n}\ln L =
mathgirl1
Assume the sequence of positive numbers ${a_n}$ converges to L. Prove that
$\lim_{n \to \infty} \sqrt[n]{a_1a_2...a_n} = L$ (The nth root of the product of the first n terms)

Since ${a_n}$ converges we know that for every $\epsilon> 0$ there is an $N$ such that for all $n > N$ $ |a_n - L| < \epsilon$. Need to show that for every $\epsilon > 0$ there is an $N$ s.t. for $n > N$ $|\sqrt[n]{a_1a_2...a_n} - L | < \epsilon$. Not sure how to relate these two. I know that if $a_n$ converges to $L$ then $\sqrt{a_n}$ converges to $\sqrt{L}$. I can extend this to say that $\sqrt[n]{a_n}$ converges to $\sqrt[n]{L}$. I also know the product of two convergent sequences converges to the product of the limit of each sequence. Not sure how to extend that to be the product of the first $n$ terms of a convergent sequence is convergent. Maybe Cauchy criteria is the way to proceed but I didn't have much luck in that either.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
mathgirl said:
Assume the sequence of positive numbers ${a_n}$ converges to L. Prove that
$lim_{n \to \infty} \sqrt[n]{a_1a_2...a_n} = L$ (The nth root of the product of the first n terms)

Since ${a_n}$ converges we know that for every $\epsilon> 0$ there is an $N$ such that for all $n > N$ $ |a_n - L| < \epsilon$. Need to show that for every $\epsilon > 0$ there is an $N$ s.t. for $n > N$ $|\sqrt[n]{a_1a_2...a_n} - L | < \epsilon$. Not sure how to relate these two. I know that if $a_n$ converges to $L$ then $\sqrt{a_n}$ converges to $\sqrt{L}$. I can extend this to say that $\sqrt[n]{a_n}$ converges to $\sqrt[n]{L}$. I also know the product of two convergent sequences converges to the product of the limit of each sequence. Not sure how to extend that to be the product of the first n terms of a convergent sequence is convergent. Maybe Cauchy criteria is the way to proceed but I didnt have much luck in that either.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

By Cesaro theorem, given a sequence $a_{n}$ and the sequence $c_{n}$ defined as...

$\displaystyle c_{n} = \frac{1}{n}\ \sum_{k=1}^{n} a_{k}\ (1)$

... if $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_{n}=A$ then $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} c_{n}=A$. If You substitute the $a_{n}$ with $\ln a_{n}$ and L with ln L in your expression and apply Cesaro theorem, You solve the problem...Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

Thank you! That should get me started somewhere. Our book doesn't have the Cesaro Theorem in it, nor did he cover it so not sure I can use that method without proving it and the proof looks quite lengthy. But I guess I at least have a starting point. Confused why he would give us something like this now...

Thanks again!

If anyone has any suggestions on how to prove this without Cesaro I would be very interested in seeing that.

mathgirl said:
Thank you! That should get me started somewhere. Our book doesn't have the Cesaro Theorem in it, nor did he cover it so not sure I can use that method without proving it and the proof looks quite lengthy. But I guess I at least have a starting point. Confused why he would give us something like this now...

Thanks again!

If anyone has any suggestions on how to prove this without Cesaro I would be very interested in seeing that.

All right mathgirl!... using logarithms we set...

$\displaystyle \lambda_{n} = \ln a_{n} = \Lambda + \gamma_{n}\ (1) $

... where $\Lambda = \ln L$ and $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \gamma_{n}= 0$. Now we can write...

$\displaystyle w_{n} = \ln \sqrt[n]{a_{1}\ a_{2}\ ...\ a_{n}} = \Lambda + \frac{1}{n} \sum_{k=1}^{n} \gamma_{k}\ (2)$

... and from (2) You can conclude that is $\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} w_{n} = \Lambda$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
I can't say I know how to fully solve your problem, but chisigma's suggestions all look like the proof of the AM-GM inequality, which depend on the fact that the logarithm function is a strictly concave function. I'd have thought you could use AM-GM to show that the limit is less than or equal to $L$. Not sure how you could get greater than or equal to, though.

Thanks so much! That helped alot!

What is the definition of a convergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is a sequence of numbers where the terms gradually approach a specific value, known as the limit. This means that as the index of the sequence increases, the terms become closer and closer to the limit value.

What does it mean for a sequence to have a limit?

Having a limit in a sequence means that the terms in the sequence get arbitrarily close to a certain value as the index of the sequence increases. In other words, the terms become closer and closer to a specific value, but may never actually reach it.

What is the significance of the limit in the statement "Prove $\lim_{n \to \infty} \sqrt[n]{a_1a_2...a_n} = L$ for Convergent ${a_n}$"?

The limit, denoted by L in this statement, represents the value that the sequence of terms approaches as the index of the sequence increases. In this case, it is the value that the square root of the product of the terms converges to as the number of terms increases towards infinity.

What does it mean for a sequence to be convergent?

A convergent sequence is one where the terms approach a specific value as the index increases. This means that the sequence has a limit and the terms get closer and closer to this limit as the index increases. In other words, the terms in a convergent sequence get arbitrarily close to a certain value, but may never actually reach it.

What is the significance of proving the given statement for a convergent sequence?

Proving the statement for a convergent sequence means that the limit of the sequence is well-defined and can be calculated using the given formula. This is useful in many mathematical applications, as it allows for the calculation of the limit of a sequence without having to determine all of its terms.