Prove t = x*y => t*x = x*t^(-1)

• Thread starter xsw001
  • Start date
In summary, the given problem asks us to prove that if t=xy, then t*x=x*t^(-1) in any group G, where x and y are elements of order 2. This can be shown by using the fact that t^(-1)=y*x and then using the properties of the group such as x^2=1 and y^2=1 to show that t*x=xyx=x(t^-1).
xsw001
Let x, y be elements of order 2 in any group G.
Prove that if t = xy, then t*x = x*t^(-1)

Here is what I got so far.
Proof:
Since |x| = 2 => x^2 = 1; |y| = 2 => y^2 = 1, then (x^2)(y^2) = 1 => (xy)^2 = 1
Suppose t = xy, then t^2 = (xy)^2 = 1
WTS (want to show) t*x = x*t^(-1)

This group looks like Dihedral group D2n, the operation t*x = x*t^(-1) similar to r*s = s*r^(-1),
we know r^n = s^2 = 1 in D2n, since x^2 = 1, we can let x = s, so x^2 = s^2 = 1. Hence we've shown x = s,
Now I need to show t^n = (xy)^n = 1 so that I can let t = xy = r,
and if we show t = xy = r, then we get exactly the same operation in D2n such that r*s = s*r^(-1) where r = t = xy and s = x

Here is what I stuck, how do I show t^n=(xy)^n=1 ? I only know t^2 = (xy)^2 = 1 from the given condition. Now I need to derive from there and to show that t^n = (xy)^n

Any suggestions?

BTW, I think that I post in the wrong session. I'll make a note next time since I can't delete the post.

Physics news on Phys.org
Notice that [tex]t^{-1}=y*x[/tex] because [tex]t*(y*x)=(t*y)*x=(x*(y*y))*x=(x*1)*x=1 [/tex]and similarly [tex](y*x)*t=1[/tex].

Yes! Got it!
Since t^-1=(y^-1)*(x^-1) and x^2=1 => x=x^-1, y^2=1 => y=y^-1, so t^-1=yx
Then tx=xyx, and x(t^-1)=xyx, indeed they are equal!
Thanks for the tips Delta! Now it seems so simple!

Last edited:
Glad to help !

No problem, let's continue with the proof.

To show that t^n = (xy)^n = 1, we can use the fact that t^2 = (xy)^2 = 1. This means that t^2 is the identity element in the group G.

Now, let's consider t^3 = (xy)^3 = (xy)(xy)(xy). Using associativity, this can be rewritten as x(yx)(yx)y. Since x has order 2, we know that x*x = 1. Similarly, y*y = 1. So, we can rewrite t^3 as x(1)(1)y = xy.

But we know that t^2 = 1, so we can substitute this in and get t^3 = t*t^2 = t*1 = t. Therefore, t^3 = t = xy.

Similarly, we can show that t^4 = (xy)^4 = 1. This follows from the fact that t^2 = 1, so t^4 = t^2*t^2 = 1*1 = 1.

In general, we can show that t^n = (xy)^n = 1 for any positive integer n. This is because we can keep using the fact that t^2 = 1 and t^n = t*t^(n-1) to rewrite t^n as t^(n-2)*t^2 = t^(n-2)*1 = t^(n-2) = ... = 1.

So, we have shown that t^n = (xy)^n = 1 for all positive integers n. Now, we can let t = xy = r, and use the same reasoning as in Dihedral group D2n to show that t*x = x*t^(-1) = x*r^(-1) = x*(xy)^(-1) = x*y^(-1)*x^(-1) = x*y*x*x = x*(1)*x = x*x = 1.

Therefore, we have proven that t*x = x*t^(-1) for any elements x, y of order 2 in any group G.

1. What is the equation "t = x*y"?

The equation "t = x*y" represents a simple multiplication of two variables, where "t" and "x" are the factors being multiplied together.

2. How does "t*x = x*t^(-1)" relate to "t = x*y"?

The equation "t*x = x*t^(-1)" is a rearranged form of "t = x*y", also known as the commutative property of multiplication. It states that the order of the factors does not affect the product, as long as the same numbers are being multiplied together.

3. Why is "t*x = x*t^(-1)" considered a proof?

"t*x = x*t^(-1)" is considered a proof because it demonstrates the validity of the commutative property of multiplication. By showing that the order of the factors does not affect the product, it proves that the equation "t = x*y" is true for any value of "t" and "x".

4. Can "t = x*y" be proven using other methods?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to prove the equation "t = x*y". These include using algebraic manipulation, substitution, and geometric representations. However, the commutative property of multiplication is one of the most commonly used methods for proving this equation.

5. How is "t = x*y" used in scientific research?

The equation "t = x*y" is often used in scientific research to represent the relationship between two variables. It can be used to analyze data, make predictions, and form hypotheses about the relationship between the two variables. By understanding the commutative property of multiplication, scientists can better understand and interpret their findings in various fields of study.