Prove that a~t^(8pπ) (inflation)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a chaotic model and finding a solution using Friedmann's and inflaton equations. The speaker believes their mistake may be in the math portion, specifically with the integral, and suggests using the equation a(t) = exp [-Vo/ (2 Mp) * 1/√(24πp2) * t2 ] instead of the original a(t) ~ t8πp2. They also ask for suggestions on how to clarify this further.
QuarkDecay
Homework Statement
In a chaotic cosmological model during inflation, given the V(Φ) and Φ(t), we need to prove that a~t^(8pπ)
Relevant Equations
Friedmann's first equation; (da/adt)[SUP]2[/SUP]= 8πGV(Φ)/3
inflaton equation; 3HdΦ/dt= -dV/dΦ
Problem gives these for a chaotic model;

V(Φ)=Voexp(-√(2/p)* Φ/Μp)

Φ(t)=√(2p)*Mpln[√(Vo/24πp2) *t/Mp]

There's a standard method to follow and find the a(t) by using Friedmann's and inflaton equations. I think my mistake is most likely on the math part, because in the physics aspect we always follow this method of using these two equations and solving them. Unless there's some approximation I have to make about the chaotic model and the Φ, a(t) etc

Starting from Friedmann's first equation
da/adt= √(8πGV(Φ)/3) ⇒ ∫da/a = ∫ √(8πGV(Φ)/3) dt = √(8πG) ∫√(V(Φ)) dt

Now for the integral I replace V's value I= ∫√(V(Φ)) dt = ∫√(Voexp(-√(2/p)* Φ/Μp)) dt =
=√Vo* ∫ [exp(-√(2/p)* Φ/Μp)]1/2 dt =

and multiple the 1/2 from the square root inside the exponential

=√Vo ∫ [exp (-√(2/p)* Φ/2Μp)] dt =

Now replacing the Φ value too

=√Vo ∫ [exp (-√(2/p) * 1/(2Μp) * √(2p) * Μp * ln( √(Vo/24πp2) *t/Mp) ] dt =

= √Vo ∫ [ exp (-ln (Vo/24πp2) *t/Mp) ] dt =

now I wasn't too sure how to proceed at this point. Not sure if exp(lnx)= x , although I read this is correct, so I used this

= √Vo ∫- (Vo/24πp2) *t/Mp) dt =

= √Vo * (Vo/24πp2)/ Mp) * ∫ t dt

and ∫ t dt= t2/2

Also going back in the beginning, the first part of the equation; ∫da/a =lna

So the final one is

lna =√Vo * (Vo/24πp2)/ Mp) *t2/2 =
-Vo/ (2 Mp) * 1/√(24πp2) * t2

⇒ a(t) = exp [-Vo/ (2 Mp) * 1/√(24πp2) * t2 ]

which means that a(t) ~ t2 and not t8πp

Physics news on Phys.org
2 as the problem asked. The mistake might be in the math part while I was solving the integral, because I wasn't so sure how to treat the exponential and ln in the integral. Also if it is not correct, any suggestions on how to make this more clear?

1. What is "inflation" in the context of scientific research?

Inflation, in the context of scientific research, refers to the rapid expansion of the universe in the first fraction of a second after the Big Bang. It is a hypothetical period of exponential expansion that is believed to have occurred in the early universe and is supported by various observations and mathematical models.

2. How does a~t^(8pπ) relate to inflation?

The equation a~t^(8pπ) is a mathematical representation of the expansion of the universe during the inflationary period. "a" represents the scale factor, which is a measure of the size of the universe, "t" represents time, and "p" and "π" are mathematical constants. This equation is used to describe the rapid and exponential growth of the universe during inflation.

3. What evidence supports the theory of inflation?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the theory of inflation, including the observation of the cosmic microwave background radiation, the distribution of galaxies in the universe, and the flatness of the universe. These observations are consistent with the predictions made by the theory of inflation.

4. How does the equation a~t^(8pπ) help to prove inflation?

The equation a~t^(8pπ) is a key component of the mathematical models that describe inflation. By plugging in values for "a" and "t", scientists can use this equation to make predictions about the expansion of the universe during the inflationary period. If these predictions match up with observations, it provides strong evidence in support of the theory of inflation.

5. Can the equation a~t^(8pπ) be used to predict the end of inflation?

Yes, the equation a~t^(8pπ) can be used to predict the end of inflation. As the universe expands, the rate of expansion will slow down, and eventually, inflation will come to an end. By plugging in values for "a" and "t", scientists can determine when this will occur and make predictions about the state of the universe after inflation ends.