Prove that any curve can be parameterized by arc length

In summary, the student is trying to find a parameterization of gamma that can be written as a function of arc length. However, they are having trouble finding an inverse function for h(t). They find a relationship between h(s) and |γ'| using the chain rule, and then conclude that |γ'| = |η|.
stripes

Homework Statement

Prove that any curve [itex]\Gamma[/itex] can be parameterized by arc length.

Homework Equations

Hint: If η is any parameterization (of [itex]\Gamma[/itex] I am guessing), let [itex]h(s) = \int^{s}_{a} \left| \eta ' (t) \right| dt[/itex] and consider [itex]\gamma = \eta \circ h^{-1}.[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Given the hint, we have [itex]\gamma = \eta \circ h^{-1} (t) = (x(h^{-1} (t), y(h^{-1} (t))[/itex] and thus [itex] \left| \gamma ' (t) \right| = \sqrt{ [x' (h^{-1} (t))]^{2} + [y' (h^{-1} (t))]^{2}}[/itex] but what good is this if I can't find the inverse of h(t)?

I know I have to show there exists a parameterization [itex]\gamma : [a, b] \rightarrow \Re^{2}[/itex] of [itex]\Gamma[/itex] so that [itex]\left| \gamma ' (t) \right| = 1[/itex] for all t. Perhaps this hint will reveal this parameterization, but I can't see how. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your expression for ## |\gamma'(t)| ## is incorrect. Fix that, then apply the rule for differentiating inverse functions.

What exactly is wrong with my expression?

If gamma is a parameterization, then |γ'| = sqrt ( x'(t)^2 + y'(t)^2), is it not?

The equation is correct in #3, but not in #1.

But the parametrization is a function of h^-1 which is a function of t. Would I need to use chain rule?

Yes, you have to use the chain rule. Which you tried, but you either did not do it correctly, or did not write the result correctly.

Oh I forgot because h is a function of s, not t. All this time I thought it was a function of t. Alright I'm plugging away I will be back.

No, that was not the problem. The problem is that the chain rule should have resulted in a product of two derivatives.

So

[itex]\eta (t) = (x(t), y(t))[/itex] is any parametrization. Then let

[itex]h(s) = \int^{s}_{a} | \eta ' (t) | dt [/itex]

Now consider
[itex]\gamma (t) = \eta (h^{-1} (s)) = (x(h^{-1} (s)), y(h^{-1} (s))).[/itex]

We have

[itex]| \gamma ' (t) | = | \gamma ' (h^{-1} (s)) | = \sqrt{(x'(h^{-1} (s))([h^{-1}]' (s))^{2} + (y'(h^{-1} (s))([h^{-1}]' (s))^{2}}[/itex]

[itex] = ... = |\eta ' (s) | \sqrt{ x'(h^{-1} (s))^{2} + y'(h^{-1} (s))^{2}}[/itex]

but now what?

That is not correct. ## (h^{-1})' \ne |\eta'| ##.

Well we defined [itex]h(s) = \int^{s}_{a} | \eta ' (t) |dt[/itex] didn't we? So by the FTC we end up with [itex] | \eta ' (t) | or | \eta ' (s) | [/itex]?

Chain rule is really irritating me right now...

Yes, ## h' ## is indeed equal to ## |\eta'| ##. But you have ## h^{-1} ## to differentiate.

Right. So it'd be |n'|', but that still doesn't seem useful.

Furthermore, how am I going to deal with the square root stuff?

stripes said:
Right. So it'd be |n'|', but that still doesn't seem useful.

Why would that be so? Say you have y = f(x), and you also have its inverse x = g(y): g(f(x)) = x. Is there an equation linking f' and g'?

I think that's enough for me today. I'll hand in wha I've got. Thanks for your help!

1. What does it mean to parameterize a curve by arc length?

Parameterizing a curve by arc length means to express the coordinates of points on the curve in terms of the distance along the curve from a specific starting point. This is achieved by using the arc length as a parameter instead of the more common parameters such as time or angle.

2. Why is it important to be able to parameterize a curve by arc length?

Parameterizing a curve by arc length allows for a more precise and uniform way of describing the curve. It also makes it easier to calculate properties of the curve, such as its length or curvature, and makes it easier to compare different curves.

3. Is it possible to parameterize any curve by arc length?

Yes, it is possible to parameterize any curve by arc length. This is because the arc length is a continuous and increasing function, meaning that for any point on the curve, there is a unique corresponding value of the arc length. This allows for a one-to-one mapping between points on the curve and values of the arc length.

4. How do you prove that any curve can be parameterized by arc length?

There are several ways to prove this statement, but one common approach is to use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. This theorem states that for a continuous function, the derivative of its integral is equal to the original function. By applying this theorem to the arc length function, we can show that it is possible to express the coordinates of points on the curve in terms of the arc length.

5. Are there any limitations to parameterizing a curve by arc length?

One limitation is that the arc length parameterization may not always be the most convenient or intuitive way to describe a curve. In some cases, other parameters such as time or angle may be more suitable. Additionally, the arc length parameterization may not be possible for curves with discontinuities or for certain types of curves, such as fractals.