Prove that f is a constant function

In summary, the given function f:R->R satisfies the inequality ##|\sum\limits_{k=1}^n3^k[f(x+ky)-f(x-ky)]|<=1## for every positive integer n and all real x, y. To prove that f is a constant function, we can use the mean value theorem and consider the difference quotient f(a)-f(-a) for different values of n and y. By making suitable choices for these variables, we can bound the difference and show that it approaches zero as n and y increase. This implies that f'(c)=0
AdityaDev

Homework Statement

Suppose that f:R->R satisfies the inequality ##|\sum\limits_{k=1}^n3^k[f(x+ky)-f(x-ky)]|<=1## for every positive integer k, for all real x, y. Prove that f is a constant function.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried taking f(x)=sinx and then using sinC-sinD=2cos(C/2+D/2)sin(C/2-D/2). Then you will get 2cosx.sinky. |cosx| is always less than or equal to one, but greater than zero. So I ignored cosx from the sum since it is just like a positive constant. and you will be left with
$$2\sum3^ksinky=2.Im\sum3^ke^{iky}$$
I am not sure about this procedure. Is there a general method?

Physics news on Phys.org
AdityaDev said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that f:R->R satisfies the inequality ##|\sum\limits_{k=1}^n3^k[f(x+ky)-f(x-ky)]|<=1## for every positive integer k, for all real x, y. Prove that f is a constant function.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried taking f(x)=sinx and then using sinC-sinD=2cos(C/2+D/2)sin(C/2-D/2). Then you will get 2cosx.sinky. |cosx| is always less than or equal to one, but greater than zero. So I ignored cosx from the sum since it is just like a positive constant. and you will be left with
$$2\sum3^ksinky=2.Im\sum3^ke^{iky}$$
I am not sure about this procedure. Is there a general method?

To prove a function is constant you often prove that the derivative is zero.

There are 2 variables x and y. Should I differentiate the expression with respect to x or with respect to y?

AdityaDev said:
There are 2 variables x and y. Should I differentiate the expression with respect to x or with respect to y?
As far as f is concerned, it is a function of a single variable.

If I differentiate w.r.t t, then you will have $$\sum\limits_{k=1}^n3^k[f'(x+ky). (\frac{dx}{dt}+k\frac{dy}{dt})-f'(x-ky). (\frac{dx}{dt}-k\frac{dy}{dt})]$$

AdityaDev said:
If I differentiate w.r.t t, then you will have $$\sum\limits_{k=1}^n3^k[f'(x+ky). (\frac{dx}{dt}+k\frac{dy}{dt})-f'(x-ky). (\frac{dx}{dt}-k\frac{dy}{dt})]$$
I didn't mean to imply endorsement of differentiating. Since Dick suggested it, I'm prepared to believe that helps, but I don't see it yet.
I think there's something not quite right in the OP. Should it say "for every positive integer n, for all real x, y"?

It does.

I thinks its just <sum expression> for all real x, y.

AdityaDev said:
I thinks its just <sum expression> for all real x, y.
But n is also a variable for that sum, and the terms inside the sum can change sign as k changes, so I think it's important to include "for all n".

Likes AdityaDev
AdityaDev said:

Don't differentiate with respect to either one. Remember that the derivative is the limit of a difference quotient. Let y approach zero and take the limit.

Likes AdityaDev
Dick said:
Don't differentiate with respect to either one. Remember that the derivative is the limit of a difference quotient. Let y approach zero and take the limit.

Actually letting y actually approach zero doesn't cut it. I think you need some sort of mean value theorem type of thing to get the difference to actually equal ##f'(c) 2ky## for some value of ##c## and nonzero ##y##. Or you need to make some sort of approximation argument about the difference in terms a derivative. THEN you can let ##k## approach infinity to conclude ##f'(c)=0##. Maybe I haven't thought this through enough, so you try and fill in the details for me.

Last edited:
Fix on some x to begin with. For simplicity I'll take x=0.
Consider f(a)-f(-a). By suitable choices of n and y, what bounds can you put on it?
Next, consider n=2, but changing y such that the extreme ends of the sum are still at -a and +a, you should now be able to put tighter bounds on that difference. And so on.

Likes AdityaDev
haruspex said:
Fix on some x to begin with. For simplicity I'll take x=0.
Consider f(a)-f(-a). By suitable choices of n and y, what bounds can you put on it?
Next, consider n=2, but changing y such that the extreme ends of the sum are still at -a and +a, you should now be able to put tighter bounds on that difference. And so on.
For x=0, then you get f(a) for n=1, y=a.
For n=2, the expression has two pairs: f(y)-f(-y) + f(2y)-f(-2y)
then there is no value of y for which y=a and -2y=-a.

Dick said:
Actually letting y actually approach zero doesn't cut it. I think you need some sort of mean value theorem type of thing to get the difference to actually equal ##f'(c) 2ky## for some value of ##c## and nonzero ##y##. Or you need to make some sort of approximation argument about the difference in terms a derivative. THEN you can let ##k## approach infinity to conclude ##f'(c)=0##. Maybe I haven't thought this through enough, so you try and fill in the details for me.
According to MVT, $$f'(c)=\frac{f(x+ky)-f(x-ky)}{2ky}$$
Hence ##f'(c)2ky=g(k)## where g(k)=f(x+ky)-f(x-ky)

If I take a point x, f(x) on the curve Y=f(X), then the two points x-ky and x+ky on the X-axis are aymmetrically placed about X=x. So can I say that the arbitary point c will remain same for any value of k? That is, can I say that the lines formed by connecting (x-2y,f(x-2y)) and (x+2y, f(x+2y)) will be parallel to that formed by (x-y, f(x-y)) and (x+y,f(x+y))?

AdityaDev said:
If I take a point x, f(x) on the curve Y=f(X), then the two points x-ky and x+ky on the X-axis are aymmetrically placed about X=x. So can I say that the arbitary point c will remain same for any value of k? That is, can I say that the lines formed by connecting (x-2y,f(x-2y)) and (x+2y, f(x+2y)) will be parallel to that formed by (x-y, f(x-y)) and (x+y,f(x+y))?

Good point, and no you can't say that. So this won't work in the way I was thinking.

AdityaDev said:
For x=0, then you get f(a) for n=1, y=a.
Yes, but what inequality do you get for |f(a)-f(-a)|?
AdityaDev said:
For n=2, the expression has two pairs: f(y)-f(-y) + f(2y)-f(-2y)
then there is no value of y for which y=a and -2y=-a.
Sorry, a small error in what I posted may have misled you:
haruspex said:
changing y such that the extreme ends of the sum are still at -a and +a
I meant the extreme top end of the sum, singular. I.e. a = ny. What inequality do you get now? How can you combine this with the n=1 inequality to get even tighter bounds on f(a)-f(-a)?

Likes AdityaDev
For n=1, y=a, the inequality will be |f(a)-f(-a)|<=1. So f(a)-f(-a) is greater than -1 and less than 1.
for n=2,y=a, you get f(a)-f(-a)+f(2a)-f(-2a) and this should again lie between -1 and 1. Let f(a)-f(-a)=A. So---> -1-A<=f(2a)-f(-2a)<=1-A.

AdityaDev said:
For n=1, y=a, the inequality will be |f(a)-f(-a)|<=1
No, the given inequality has 3k, not 3k-1, and this is the k=n term.
AdityaDev said:
for n=2,y=a, you get f(a)-f(-a)+f(2a)-f(-2a)
I meant you to pick y such that the k=n (=2) term corresponds to f(a), but I don't think it matters.
What does matter is that you've left out the power-of-three factors again.

haruspex said:
No, the given inequality has 3k, not 3k-1, and this is the k=n term.

I meant you to pick y such that the k=n (=2) term corresponds to f(a), but I don't think it matters.
What does matter is that you've left out the power-of-three factors again.
Sorry.
For n=2, y can be taken as a/2
So 3[f(a/2)-f(-a/2)] + 9[f(a)-f(-a)]
And ##-1/3\le f(a)-f(-a) \le 1/3##

AdityaDev said:
Sorry.
For n=2, y can be taken as a/2
So 3[f(a/2)-f(-a/2)] + 9[f(a)-f(-a)]
And ##-1/3\le f(a)-f(-a) \le 1/3##
Right, but properly: |3[f(a/2)-f(-a/2)] + 9[f(a)-f(-a)]|≤1
Now, in ##-1/3\le f(a)-f(-a) \le 1/3##, a was arbitrary, so it applies equally to a/2, right?
How can you use that to eliminate the f(a/2) terms from the n=2 inequality?

Likes AdityaDev
Yes. It applies to a/2.
$$-1/3\le f(a)-f(-a)\le 1/3$$
$$-3\le 9f(a)-9f(-a)\le 3$$
And,
$$-1/3\le f(a/2)-f(-a/2)\le 1/3$$
$$-1\le 3f(a/2)-3f(-a/2)\le 1$$
adding them, ##-4\le A+B\le 4##

AdityaDev said:
Yes. It applies to a/2.
$$-1/3\le f(a)-f(-a)\le 1/3$$
$$-3\le 9f(a)-9f(-a)\le 3$$
And,
$$-1/3\le f(a/2)-f(-a/2)\le 1/3$$
$$-1\le 3f(a/2)-3f(-a/2)\le 1$$
adding them, ##-4\le A+B\le 4##
You have to be careful with the modulus signs here.
If |x+y|<|z|, what bound can you put on |x| in terms of y and z?

Likes AdityaDev
-z<x+y<z
-z-y<x<z-y
So |-z-y|<|x|<|z-y|

AdityaDev said:
-z<x+y<z
-z-y<x<z-y
So |-z-y|<|x|<|z-y|
No, the last step is not valid. E.g. x=1, y=2, z=4 satisfies the original inequality, as does x=-2, y=3, z=4.

Likes AdityaDev
For x+y>0 and z>0, x<z-y
for x+y> 0,z<0 then x<-z-y
For x+y<0, z<0 then x>z-y
for x+y<0,z> 0 then x>-z-y

AdityaDev said:
For x+y>0 and z>0, x<z-y
for x+y> 0,z<0 then x<-z-y
For x+y<0, z<0 then x>z-y
for x+y<0,z> 0 then x>-z-y
You need to get it into the form |x|< some function of y and z. I'll give you a lead, it will be a function of |y| and |z|. A quite simple one.

For example, |x-2|>|4|
Then x can be -1,0,1,2,3,4,5
So x<|y|+|z| and greater than |y|-|z|

AdityaDev said:
For example, |x-2|>|4|
Then x can be -1,0,1,2,3,4,5
So x<|y|+|z| and greater than |y|-|z|
I'll settle for |x|<|y|+|z|.
Now to resume the main discusion. You found |f(a/2)-f(-a/2)| <1/3. Now write out the inequality for the case n=2, ny=a. Use the |x+y|<|z| implies |x|<|y|+|z| result to rearrange it into the form |f(a)-f(-a)|< ... form.

Likes AdityaDev
so for n=2,y=a/2,
$$|f(a/2)-f(a/2)+f(a)-f(-a)|\le 1/9$$
So $$|f(a)-f(-a)|\le|f(a/2)-f(-a/2)|+1/9$$
and $$|f(a/2)-f(-a/2)|\le 1/3$$
so $$|f(a)-f(-a)|\le 1/3+1/9$$

There's an error in the first line. The f(a/2) terms are k=1 in the sum, so only get a factor 3, not 9. When you correct that your last line will be much more useful.

Likes AdityaDev
Sorry for the delay.

$$3|f(a/2)-f(-a/2)|+9|f(a)-f(-a)|\le 1$$
$$9|f(a)-f(-a)|\le 3|f(a)-f(-a)|+1$$
And ##f(t)-f(-t)\le 1/3 ## from post #21
Hence $$|f(a)-f(-a)|\le 2/9$$

AdityaDev said:
Sorry for the delay.

$$3|f(a/2)-f(-a/2)|+9|f(a)-f(-a)|\le 1$$
$$9|f(a)-f(-a)|\le 3|f(a)-f(-a)|+1$$
And ##f(t)-f(-t)\le 1/3 ## from post #21
Hence $$|f(a)-f(-a)|\le 2/9$$
Right. Again, a can be any value. In post #20 you showed ##|f(a)-f(-a)|\le \frac 13##, and using that you've improved it to ##\frac 29##. Can you see how to turn this process into an induction, or maybe a reductio ad absurdum, to show it must be zero?

Yes. For n=3, y=a/3, you get ##|f(a)-f(-a)|\le 5/27##
So it keeps decreasing.

AdityaDev said:
Yes. For n=3, y=a/3, you get ##|f(a)-f(-a)|\le 5/27##
So it keeps decreasing.

Yes, it keeps decreasing, but you need to show that the limit is zero.

Likes AdityaDev