Prove that psquared +qsquared +rsquared +2pqr =1

• Thread starter mathelord
  • Start date
In summary, if arcsin[p] + arcsin[q] + arcsin[r] = 180, then psquared + qsquared + rsquared + 2pqr = 1. A proof for this can be found by manipulating the given equation using trigonometric identities and substituting the values of p, q, and r as cosines of angles A, B, and C.
mathelord
if arc cos[p] +arc cos[q] +arc cos[r] =180,
prove that psquared +qsquared +rsquared +2pqr =1
i need a comprehensive solution

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let us get the ball rolling. What have you done towards it?

The Bob (2004 ©)

Looks like the cosine law to me.

VietDao29 said:
Do you mean:
if [tex]\arccos p + \arccos q + \arccos r = 180[/tex] then [tex]\sqrt{p} + \sqrt{q} + \sqrt{r} + 2pqr = 1[/tex]?
Maybe I am wrong, but if you mean that, it's a wrong problem.
p = 0.573576
q = 0.422618
r = 0.5
Am I missing something?
Viet Dao,
To me it quite clearly reads as:

[tex]p^2 + q^2 + r^2 + 2pqr = 1[/tex]

Dear me, how can I made such a stupid mistake? :mad:
Viet Dao,

If θ= arc cos[p], φ= arccos[q], ψ= arccos[r], then
saying that "arc cos[p] +arc cos[q] +arc cos[r] =180" is simply saying that θ+φ+ψ= 180 or that θ, φ, ψ are angles in a triangle.

acos(p radians)+acos(q radians)+acos(r radians) = 180 degrees = π radians?

ϖ radians

Π radians

3.1415... radians

Yes, but the original post said "arc cos[p] +arc cos[q] +arc cos[r] =180" which only makes sense if the angles are given in degrees.

if the angles are given in degrees then
p*p + q*q + r*r +2*p*q*r != 1

bao_ho said:
if the angles are given in degrees then
p*p + q*q + r*r +2*p*q*r != 1
And why is that ? p, q, r are NOT angles !

"arc cos" is simply the inverse cosine or "cos -1"

no one is helpin,all i said is that i need a proof on how psquared +qsquared +rsquared +2pqr=1,p,q,r,are angles in degrees.my friend abia ubong has a solution of this problem,but won't show me.so i need it urgently please

No-one's going to do the homework for you. Here's a hint:
[tex]\alpha = \arccos p \Rightarrow \cos \alpha = p[/tex]
[tex]\beta = \arccos q \Rightarrow \cos \beta = q[/tex]
[tex]\zeta = \arccos r \Rightarrow \cos \zeta = r[/tex]
You have [tex]\alpha + \beta + \zeta = 180[/tex]
[tex]p^2 + q^2 + r^2 + 2pqr= \cos ^2 \alpha + \cos ^2 \beta + \cos ^2 \zeta + 2 \cos \alpha \cos \beta \cos \zeta= ?[/tex]
Viet Dao,

Last edited:
mathelord said:
if arc cos[p] +arc cos[q] +arc cos[r] =180,
prove that psquared +qsquared +rsquared +2pqr =1
i need a comprehensive solution
You could start by doing:
[tex]\cos ((arc cos p + arc cos q) + arc cos r)=-1[/tex]
[tex]\cos (arc cosp + arc cosq)cos(arc cosr) - \sin (arc cosp+arc cosq) \sin (arc cosr)=-1[/tex]
[tex]rpq-r\sin (arc cosp) \sin (arc cosq))-q\sin (arc cosp) \sin (arc cosr) - p\sin (arc cos q)\sin (arc cosr) = -1[/tex]
You can then use identities like [tex]\sin x =\pm \sqrt{1-cos^{2} x}[/tex] to give [tex]\sin (arc cosp) =\pm \sqrt{1-p^{2}}[/tex] and so tidy your expression to give the desired one.

let arccosp = A, arccosq = B, arccosr = C, then A+B+C = 180 => A + B = 180 - C
=> cos(A+B) = cos(180 - c) => - cosC = cosa.cosb - sina.sinb. squaring both sides,
change all sin square to cos square. take things common, you'll get the answer. don't forget to use... cosA = p, cosB = q, cosC = r

What is the purpose of proving psquared + qsquared + rsquared + 2pqr = 1?

The purpose of proving this equation is to demonstrate a mathematical relationship between four variables and a constant. It is also used in various mathematical concepts and formulas.

What is the significance of the constant value of 1 in this equation?

The constant value of 1 in this equation serves as a reference point or a benchmark for the variables. It helps to understand the relative values and relationships between the variables.

How can this equation be applied in real-life scenarios?

This equation can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. For example, it can be used to calculate the surface area of a cube, determine the forces acting on an object, or solve for the interest rate in compound interest.

What are the steps to prove the equation psquared + qsquared + rsquared + 2pqr = 1?

The steps to prove this equation may vary depending on the context and approach. However, a general approach would involve simplifying both sides of the equation, substituting values for the variables, and performing algebraic manipulations to show that both sides are equal.

What are some common misconceptions about this equation?

One common misconception is that the variables p, q, and r must be integers for the equation to hold true. In reality, they can be any real numbers. Another misconception is that this equation can only be applied to three variables. However, it can be extended to include more variables, as long as they follow the same pattern.