Prove that the nth energy level of atom has degeneracy n^2

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
tententententen
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Prove that the nth energy level of an atom has degeneracy equal to n^2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I was thinking of using the sum from n=1 to N of n = N(N+1)/2 but my professor said i needed to change that equation up a bit to be able to show this. I was also thinking about how l is less than or equal to n-1 and ml is less than l so both of those are sort of n's and together they are n squared? Overall a bit confused.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
tententententen said:
I was thinking of using the sum from n=1 to N of n = N(N+1)/2 but my professor said i needed to change that equation up a bit to be able to show this. I was also thinking about how l is less than or equal to n-1 and ml is less than l so both of those are sort of n's and together they are n squared?
Something along that line I guess.
I guess you can use the rules for allowed l and m and don't have to derive them?