Prove that (|x-1| < delta) implies (|x^2 - 1| < 1/2)

• Thread starter Nidhogg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Delta
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a number delta based on a given graph of f(x) = x^2. The conversation considers using the given graph to find an upper bound for x+1 and ultimately determines that a delta value of 1.22 would work for the given equation.
Nidhogg

Homework Statement

"Use the given graph of f(x) = x^2 to find a number delta such that..."
homework_problem.png

Homework Equations

If ##([\lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x)] - L)## then there exists an ##\epsilon## such that ##[0 < |x - a| < \delta] \Rightarrow [|f(x) - L| < \epsilon]##.
Here, f(x) and ##\epsilon## are given. So we have to find a ##\delta## such that ##|x-1|<\delta## implies ##|x^{2}-1| < \frac{1}{2}##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume that we have to relate ##x^{2}-1## with ##\delta## somehow. I tried to do it like this:
Prove that ##(|x-1| < \delta) \Rightarrow (|x^{2}-1|<\frac{1}{2})##.
Choose ##\delta##:
##|x^{2}-1|<\frac{1}{2}##
##\Rightarrow -\frac{1}{2}<x^{2}-1<\frac{1}{2}##
##\Rightarrow -\frac{1}{2}+1<x^{2}<\frac{1}{2}+1##
##\Rightarrow \frac{1}{2}<x^{2}<\frac{3}{2}##
##\Rightarrow \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}}<x<\sqrt{\frac{3}{2}}##

But here I get stuck. I feel that I have to relate this to ##\delta##, but I don't know how!

As an aside, I can do regular ##\delta-\epsilon## proofs with linear equations now, so by rights this should be easy. But for some reason, it isn't.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try factoring ##x^2-1## and find an upper bound for x+1.

I don't think the question is asking you to work out a full ##\delta,~\epsilon## argument. Look at your picture and fill in the numbers for the ? marks. Then answer the question. It is there in the picture.

LCKurtz said:
I don't think the question is asking you to work out a full ##\delta,~\epsilon## argument. Look at your picture and fill in the numbers for the ? marks. Then answer the question. It is there in the picture.

D'oh! I didn't even realize that it was that simple. I was overthinking it. Obviously, the two ##\delta## values are ##\sqrt{0.5}## and ##\sqrt{1.5}##, which ##\approx## 0.70 and 1.22 respectively. Plug either of these into the original function, subtract one, and take the absolute value, and you're left with .51 and 0.4484 So choose 1.22 for ##\delta## and you're good. I figured this out with a rather long ##\delta-\epsilon## argument below, in which I wandered about and "took the scenic route," as the saying goes (I'm not good at math yet, in case you can't tell), but I did figure it out eventually.

vela said:
Try factoring ##x^2-1## and find an upper bound for x+1.
Okay, let's try that. We have ##|x^{2}-1|<\frac{1}{2}##. So let's factor: ##|(x+1)(x-1)|<\frac{1}{2}##. We can now write ##|x-1|<\frac{\frac{1}{2}}{x+1}##, and simplify that to ##|x-1|<\frac{1}{2x+2}##. We can now find an upper bound for ##|x+1|## with a quadratic equation. We know that ##|x-1| < \frac{1}{2x+2}##, so to find an upper bound we simply set ##|x-1| = \frac{1}{2x+2}##, and multiply both sides by ##2x+2## to obtain ##|x-1|(2x+2) = 1##. Subtract 1 and simplify the expression to obtain ##2x^{2}-2x+2x-2-1 = 0##. Combine like terms to get ##2x^{2}-3 = 0##. Now for the quadratic: ##(2x^{2}-3 = 0) \Rightarrow (x = \frac{0 \pm \sqrt{0^{2} - (4 \cdot 2 \cdot -3)}}{4}) ##. This simplifies to ##x = \frac{0 \pm \sqrt{24}}{4} = \frac{\pm 2\sqrt{6}}{4} = \frac{\pm \sqrt{6}}{2} ##. (notice that ##\frac{\sqrt{6}}{2}## is equal to ##sqrt{1.5}##. We now have an upper bound for x. We want a ##\delta > 0##, so drop the ##\pm## sign and just use choose any ##\delta < \frac{\sqrt{6}}{2}##.
To see this in action, let's choose ##x = \frac{\sqrt{6}}{2}## and use the limit definition, with ##<## changed to ##\leq## because we're finding an upper bound here: ##(|x^{2}-1| \leq \frac{1}{2}) \Rightarrow (|\frac{\sqrt{6}}{2}^{2} - 1| \leq \frac{1}{2}) \Rightarrow (\frac{6}{4}-1 \leq \frac{1}{2}) \Rightarrow (\frac{1}{2} \leq \frac{1}{2})##. So take ##\delta = 1.22## and you're good. Success!

Nidhogg said:
D'oh! I didn't even realize that it was that simple. I was overthinking it. Obviously, the two ##\delta## values are ##\sqrt{0.5}## and ##\sqrt{1.5}##, which ##\approx## 0.70 and 1.22 respectively.

Those are not the ##\delta## values. They are values of ##x## beyond which you don't want to go.

Plug either of these into the original function, subtract one, and take the absolute value, and you're left with .51 and 0.4484 So choose 1.22 for ##\delta## and you're good. I figured this out with a rather long ##\delta-\epsilon## argument below, in which I wandered about and "took the scenic route," as the saying goes (I'm not good at math yet, in case you can't tell), but I did figure it out eventually.
!
Remember ##\delta## is the magnitude of the difference between ##x## and ##1## that works.

1. What is the purpose of this proof?

The purpose of this proof is to show that the statement "(|x-1| < delta) implies (|x^2 - 1| < 1/2)" is true for all values of x and a given value of delta. This proof is important in understanding the relationship between the absolute value of a number and its squared value.

2. What does the notation |x-1| mean?

The notation |x-1| represents the absolute value of the expression (x-1). This means that the result will always be a non-negative number, regardless of the value of x.

3. What is the significance of the value 1/2 in the statement?

The value 1/2 represents the maximum limit for the absolute value of (x^2 - 1). In other words, this statement is saying that for all values of x where |x-1| is less than delta, the absolute value of (x^2 - 1) will always be less than 1/2.

4. How can this proof be applied in real-world scenarios?

This proof can be applied in many real-world scenarios, such as in engineering, physics, and statistics. For example, it can be used to prove the stability of a mathematical model or to analyze the accuracy of experimental data.

5. Can this statement be proven using other methods besides delta-epsilon?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to prove this statement, such as the squeeze theorem or the definition of a limit. However, the delta-epsilon method is commonly used in introductory calculus courses and is a fundamental concept in understanding limits and continuity.