Prove the Given Statement....2

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
In summary, In this conversation, RTCNTC tells Latex user that he does not use a desktop computer or laptop, and instead uses his cell phone as his only computing device. Latex user provides a summary of the content, stating that a cyclic orthodiagonal quadrilateral is created by the four points around the origin, and that using the tangent ratio b/d = c/a, the product of the roots is also 0.
mathdad
Suppose that the circle x^2 + 2Ax + y^2 + 2By = C has two intercepts, a and b, and two y-intercepts, c and d.
Prove that a•b - c•d = 0.

How is this started?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In the general quadratic:

\(\displaystyle ax^2+bx+c\)

Use the quadratic formula to obtain the product of the roots...what do you find?

In the last example, the sum of the roots turned to be s = -b/a. Can the product p be -ba?

RTCNTC said:
In the last example, the sum of the roots turned to be s = -b/a. Can the product p be -ba?

The product $P$ of the roots would be:

\(\displaystyle P=\frac{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}\cdot\frac{-b-\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}=?\)

I had a hunch that you were talking about multiplying the quadratic formula. I will be back later with the product.

Mark is offering you a proof of Vieta's formulas (see example for application to quadratic polynomials).

I know nothing about Vieta.

Here is the product P:

P = (4a^2b^2 + 4ac - b^2)/(4a^2)

What is the next step?

RTCNTC said:
I know nothing about Vieta.
That's why I provided a link. In my opinion, this information is useful, at least to verify the answers, i.e., formulas for sum and product of roots of a quadratic polynomial.

RTCNTC said:
Here is the product P:

P = (4a^2b^2 + 4ac - b^2)/(4a^2)
No, using the formula $(x+y)(x-y)=x^2-y^2$ we get

\(\displaystyle \frac{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}\cdot\frac{-b-\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}=\frac{b^2-(b^2-4ac)}{4a^2}=\frac{4ac}{4a^2}=\frac{c}{a}\).

What do I do with c/a?

Going back to the original equation $x^2 + 2Ax + y^2 + 2By = C$ with $x$-intercepts $a$, $b$ and $y$-intercepts $c$, $d$, you can express $ab$ and $cd$ through $A$, $B$ and $C$ just like in the solved thread.

Last edited:
Your typed letters are blocking your Latex work.

RTCNTC said:
Your typed letters are blocking your Latex work.
I am not sure what you mean (LaTeX formulas are also typed). If my post is displayed incorrectly, the best thing would be to post a screenshot to illustrate the problem.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
I am not sure what you mean (LaTeX formulas are also typed). If my post is displayed incorrectly, the best thing would be to post a screenshot to illustrate the problem.

Inline latex throws RTCNTC's cell phone off (he does not use a desktop).

In regards to the problem,

Label the positive x-intercept a, the negative x-intercept b, the positive y-intercept c and the negative y-intercept d. These four points around the origin are the vertices of a cyclic orthodiagonal quadrilateral, so angle bdc is equivalent to angle bac and angle acd is equivalent to angle abd. Using the tangent ratio, b/d = c/a which implies ab = cd, ab - cd = 0; QED.

greg1313 said:
Inline latex throws RTCNTC's cell phone off (he does not use a desktop).

In regards to the problem,

Label the positive x-intercept a, the negative x-intercept b, the positive y-intercept c and the negative y-intercept d. These four points around the origin are the vertices of a cyclic orthodiagonal quadrilateral, so angle bdc is equivalent to angle bac and angle acd is equivalent to angle abd. Using the tangent ratio, b/d = c/a which implies ab = cd, ab - cd = 0; QED.

Thanks for completing the problem. It's not that I do not use a desktop. I really do not have a computer or laptop. My cell phone is my desktop and laptop.

In post #10 I wrote the following.

Going back to the original equation x^2 + 2Ax + y^2 + 2By = C with x-intercepts a, b and y-intercepts c, d, you can express ab and cd through A, B and C just like in the solved thread.

Suppose we wish to find the sum and product of the (distinct) roots of the general quadratic, and we know nothing of the quadratic formula. Let the two roots be $x_1$ and $x_2$. Since they are roots, we know:

\(\displaystyle ax_1^2+bx_1+c=0\)

\(\displaystyle ax_2^2+bx_2+c=0\)

Now, subtracting the former from the latter, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle a\left(x_2^2-x_1^2\right)+b\left(x_2-x_1\right)=0\)

Since the roots are distinct, then we may divide through by $x_2-x_1$ as it is not zero, and we obtain:

\(\displaystyle a\left(x_1+x_2\right)+b=0\implies x_1+x_2=-\frac{b}{a}\)

Now, if $c=0$, then we know the product of the roots is also 0. Then assuming neither root is 0, we may write:

\(\displaystyle ax_1+b=-\frac{c}{x_1}\)

\(\displaystyle ax_2+b=-\frac{c}{x_2}\)

Multiplying corresponding sides of these to equations together, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle a^2x_1x_2+ab\left(x_1+x_2\right)+b^2=\frac{c^2}{x_1x_2}\)

Using our formula for the sum of the roots, there results:

\(\displaystyle a^2x_1x_2-b^2+b^2=\frac{c^2}{x_1x_2}\)

\(\displaystyle a^2x_1x_2=\frac{c^2}{x_1x_2}\)

\(\displaystyle \left(x_1x_2\right)^2=\frac{c^2}{a^2}\)

Let's consider the case where the two roots have the same sign. Picture a parabola with both roots on the same side of the origin. We realize then that $a$ and $c$ must also have the same sign.

And likewise, when the two roots have opposite signs, then so too must $a$ and $c$ have opposite signs, and so we may write:

\(\displaystyle x_1x_2=\frac{c}{a}\)

Thank you everyone. Great work, Mark!

Related to Prove the Given Statement....2

1. What does it mean to "prove the given statement"?

Proving a statement means providing evidence or logical reasoning to support the truth or validity of the statement.

2. How do I prove a given statement?

To prove a given statement, you can use mathematical or scientific principles, experiments, observations, or logical arguments to demonstrate the truth or validity of the statement.

3. What is the purpose of proving a statement?

The purpose of proving a statement is to provide evidence or logical reasoning to support the truth or validity of the statement, and to convince others of its accuracy.

4. Is proving a statement the same as proving a hypothesis?

No, proving a statement and proving a hypothesis are not the same. Proving a statement involves demonstrating the truth or validity of a specific statement, while proving a hypothesis involves testing and confirming a proposed explanation for a phenomenon.

5. Can a statement ever be proven 100% true?

It is generally accepted in science that no statement can be proven 100% true, as new evidence or discoveries may arise in the future that can challenge or change our understanding of the statement. However, a statement can be supported by overwhelming evidence and widely accepted by the scientific community.